North of San Francisco.

What's Hot
ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
Anybody been north of San Francisco. The past 2 years we've toured between SF and San Diego including Los Angeles. Next year wouldn't mind starting in SF and going north. Would like to see Sacramento but what else is there beyond that? The next main place is Portland and was wondering what it's like in between?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    A colleague drove from Vancouver to LA in early July this year. Took 3 weeks and had a great time by the sounds of it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    My wife is from that area. 

Sonoma and nappa valleys are lovely picturesque places. They are the heart of california wine country. 

Lots of wineries to visit. 

Yosemite national park is stunning. 

Armstong woods is good, a big park full of giant redwoods but stunning. 

Lots of websites to give you ideas too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Went a few years ago and I would suggest a few days in Yosemite (you could do a week and only scratch the surface) and Armstrong Woods for the amazing redwood forest. Also went whitewater rafting over the other side of the central valley, towards Sacremento, which was a terrific day out. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    Watchout for bigfoot

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    We did Sacramento and Tahoe (beloved of David Coverdale) about 15 years ago and loved it. We then went on the usual Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Havasu then Vegas tourist thing.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3338
    I lived and worked in South Lake Tahoe back in the early 2000's, really beautiful place, well worth a visit summer or winter. The lake and surrounding mountains are stunning. 
  • Tahoe bored me silly, but then I was there with my ex-wife whom I left a couple weeks later.

Anyway, there's some beautiful scenery on that coastal route, as long as you have a head for heights that is. There's a tiny place called Fort Bragg that was very quaint too, great spot for whale watching as well, and you can catch the Skunk Train from there to go and see some redwood.

I would happily move to that part of the world and spend the rest of my days just exploring it in full.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Is Sacramento worth a visit?
  • Nope! Dullsville, almost as bad as Canberra :D
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11940
    my friend who lives there took his daughter to an abandoned town
    Bodie State Historic Park
    It looked excellent
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896
    edited August 2017
    Yes, bodie is cool, and the salt columns in the lake nearby, and it's  on the east way out of Yosemite over the mountains which is a beautiful drive.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Crater lake in Oregon is spectacular, and Portland well worth visiting if you can get that far North.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Anybody been north of San Francisco. The past 2 years we've toured between SF and San Diego including Los Angeles. Next year wouldn't mind starting in SF and going north. Would like to see Sacramento but what else is there beyond that? The next main place is Portland and was wondering what it's like in between?  
    The Pacific Coast Highway is the absolute best drive. I would recommend driving all the way up through Oregon and up to Seattle (or even Vancouver), if you have the time. Some great scenery and some great places to stop.