NVGD: 1960 Les Paul Special

What's Hot

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5053
    edited August 2017
    Out of interest did RH tell you about the state of the guitar under the guard?

Edit: Could be described as extra tone chambers I guess! 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Out of interest did RH tell you about the state of the guitar under the guard?
    Yes, I knew it was routed, there's a hole in the guard for a pot there, but to be honest, it's better than I expected, it could have been a right chiseled mess. All changes and details on the guitar were made clear by Richard beforehand.

Rob.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Ossyrocks said:
    Brize said:
    Is the crown inlay on the headstock original?
    I found some references to others with crown inlays. It looks like mine is more likely a '61.

http://www.imgrum.org/media/1040760991813817633_1160227388

Rob
    I believe all double-cut Specials were technically SGs past 1959 once they removed the Les Paul script from the headstock. Most headstocks were blank but I've seen a few later models with the crown as well.
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    Truly epic
    Nice bit of research there Paul, thank you.

Phew, nearly £9k !!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22984
    Brize said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    Brize said:
    Is the crown inlay on the headstock original?
    I found some references to others with crown inlays. It looks like mine is more likely a '61.

http://www.imgrum.org/media/1040760991813817633_1160227388

Rob
    I believe all double-cut Specials were technically SGs past 1959 once they removed the Les Paul script from the headstock. Most headstocks were blank but I've seen a few later models with the crown as well.
    I've got one of the Custom Shop "1960" reissues.  It has the Les Paul script logo but it seems it should really have a crown inlay or be left blank!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6840
    tFB Trader
    @Ossyrocks Ah, a proper road warrior with the stories to prove it! I would have said it's such a shame the original P90's have gone (which it is) but Antiquities are the next best thing IMO so it's all good. Definitely a wise move getting some extra meat in that neck pickup route ASAP, they are weak at the best of times. Enjoy!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Rob, if Yukki sends you progress shots, any chance we can follow along with you? 

I understand these can often be quite private matters, but thought I'd ask anyway. 

Cheers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Rob, if Yukki sends you progress shots, any chance we can follow along with you? 

I understand these can often be quite private matters, but thought I'd ask anyway. 

Cheers. 
    Hi Paul, he's said he's going to send me some, so I'll post here when I get them. I do know he's a bit chocka with work, so it might be a couple of weeks. 

Rob
  • Cheers Rob.

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Philly_Q said:

I've got one of the Custom Shop "1960" reissues.  It has the Les Paul script logo but it seems it should really have a crown inlay or be left blank!
    Yep, should be blank if it's a 1960 reissue. I had a 61/62 SG Special reissue and that also had a 'Les Paul Special' script on the headstock, which was anachronistic. I rubbed it out with some polish and a bit of elbow grease.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22984
    Brize said:
    Philly_Q said:

Yep, should be blank if it's a 1960 reissue. I had a 61/62 SG Special reissue and that also had a 'Les Paul Special' script on the headstock, which was anachronistic. I rubbed it out with some polish and a bit of elbow grease.
    I think I'll leave it, it doesn't bother me!
    Yuuki has started work on the Special. He's stripped it down to appraise what work needs to be done. It's going to be impractical to block in the entire pickup routs and then re-rout for humbuckers as he would have to remove too much mahogany from the bottom of the existing routs and that might compromise the neck tenon. So he'll be tidying up the existing routs and adding mahogany to the sides before routing the shape for the humbuckers. Here's some pics from Yuuki of the guitar stripped down and the pickup routs.

Rob.

• Thanks Rob. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress. 
    Yuuki has started work proper now.

First off he's tidied up the bottom of the routs to take the honduran mahogany fillets and selected some timber for adding. Then the fillets are glued in. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers Rob. 
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    Nice! You're dead right about getting in quick. I'd have bought it in a shot!

I know it's considered heresy by some on other forums . . . but I'd love a vintage Junior that's been 'buckered. 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Gonna be lush man! Watching with interest.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Very cool!