Vox AC30 tips

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    skay said:
    ...leaving behind the trebly spikiness that lacks bass to an almost Marshall roar when the output valves get going (at least my U.K. Made 2003 HW model does).

The UK made HW models had a slightly different tone stack to a 'regular' top boost channel.  The OP has that option with the 'custom' setting on the EQ.  'Standard' is regular top boost.

I think there are switches on the back to make the filtering after the rectifier more like the 60's spec too IIRC.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27131
    +1 for the YDR. I also heartily recommend the little-known Selah Feather Drive for meaty OD stuff. I haven't actually tried it with an AC30 but it's great with my Badcat
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    Dodge said:

I think there are switches on the back to make the filtering after the rectifier more like the 60's spec too IIRC.
    It does, generally I think the higher power filtering is a genuine improvement over the vintage values, which were only really arrived at due to how big/ expensive caps were in those days. Sometimes 22uf is better if you really do prefer more flubby low end.
    Cirrus said:
    Dodge said:

It does, generally I think the higher power filtering is a genuine improvement over the vintage values, which were only really arrived at due to how big/ expensive caps were in those days. Sometimes 22uf is better if you really do prefer more flubby low end.
    I can't comment on that not having tried one of those amps, but I prefer vintage Vox values to Matchless / Bad Cat massive filtering.  They're just 'stiffer' than AC30's in my opinion.  I won't be upping those in my JMI's any time soon.

I suppose it's nice to have the choice in the CC series.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    Dodge said:
    Cirrus said:
    Dodge said:

I can't comment on that not having tried one of those amps, but I prefer vintage Vox values to Matchless / Bad Cat massive filtering.  They're just 'stiffer' than AC30's in my opinion.  I won't be upping those in my JMI's any time soon.

I suppose it's nice to have the choice in the CC series.
    I guess it's all so interdependent - the current Vox HW series have stiff filtering in all positions and I wasn't a fan of that. The CC and uk-made 6 input ones have low filtering in the preamp, and higher filtering in the power section which works for me - it sounds loose and lively but holds together a little tighter at volume with less ghost noting. Knocking the power filtering down to 22uf in that case is like a "slightly worse" switch to me, though of course it's always in the ear of the beholder and situation/playing style dependent.

I guess a lot of it also depends on the current draw in each stage at idle and under load, how the power section is strung together throughout the signal path, what the transformers are like, how much headroom-eating low end is hitting each stage etc so I feel like I only understand half the story here - all 8 or 16uf caps based on my experience would be hummy, ghost-notey, fall aparty tone but I've never played a vintage ac30 and I've heard they're not too shabby.  B)
    Cirrus said:
    ...but I've never played a vintage ac30 and I've heard they're not too shabby.  B)
    Knowing how you love your Voxes and alnico speakers, you must remedy that.

I've been through many amps since my first AC30 (Korg UK RI) including some boutique loveliness but I'm back to where I belong.  Frankly, if I'd had realised that from the start I'd be a lot wealthier!