Reverb Mesa Boogie cab purchase issue

bean7bean7 Frets: 44
Curious for thoughts / advice - I just bought and received a 90s, reasonably well used Mesa Boogie 'road ready' 1 x12 cab. I asked the buyer what speaker was fitted and the seller replied saying he believed it was the original Black Shadow EVM-12L, but hadn't opened it to check. I realise this statement was probably intentionally left open to some plausibly deniability and knew there was a risk that there could be any speaker in that old cab for all I know.

So since receiving the cab, it turns out its a Celestion V30, with some weird obviously non-original screws. As I said I knew the risk here, the cab itself is cool and wasn't a terrible price (probably too good to be true to have included the
 EVM-12L). However I feel like I was lead on a bit when it was probably quite easy to have checked this, and I messaged the seller to say it was disappointing - as yet no reply. His seller policy said no returns, and it was also $100 (I'm in the US btw) for shipping so am thinking to stick with it and get the right speaker eventually.

Since the seller hasn't replied yet, I starting to wonder if theres a case here with Reverb buyer protection etc, for maybe a partial refund. I haven't left feedback yet, will wait a few days for a response from the seller.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    Saw some youtube rant this week about Reverb and a 7 day period for you to raise concerns with a purchase, might be worth doing it anyway just so you get within those 7 days
  • bean7bean7 Frets: 44
    Ah didn't know that - thanks, hopefully that 7 day period applies after receiving the goods, will have a look
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    TBH he should have unscrewed the back and looked - or tried to pick it up EVM-12L's are very heavy, the weight difference would be noticeable as a V30 is 4.7KG and a EV is 8.9KG :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    TBH he should have unscrewed the back and looked - or tried to pick it up EVM-12L's are very heavy, the weight difference would be noticeable as a V30 is 4.7KG and a EV is 8.9KG :)
    I picked up a Mesa 1x15" bass cab that came into the shop recently and knew instantly that it didn't have an EV in it. Anyone who is at all familiar with Mesa gear would know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yes I knew it was too light when it arrived - the seller replied and apologised offering a generous partial refund .. all good, I was a bit quick to suspect the worst, I think he genuinely just found a description of the same cab on another listing without knowing much about it.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    it's a good lesson - always ask for a pic with the back removed then there's no room for confusion either way

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    bean7 said:
    Yes I knew it was too light when it arrived - the seller replied and apologised offering a generous partial refund .. all good, I was a bit quick to suspect the worst, I think he genuinely just found a description of the same cab on another listing without knowing much about it.
    Nice - at least you're getting some cash back - good cab either way! :)
    Yes, love the industrial aesthetic! Now to find a good deal on a EVM-12L..