thoughts on telecaster neck pickups?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14473
    tFB Trader
    I was genuinely surprised how much better the bridge pickup sounded once I'd removed the neck pickup entirely. 
    The proof that a Tele and Esquire are different guitars - similar chassis but subtle difference in the voice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I was genuinely surprised how much better the bridge pickup sounded once I'd removed the neck pickup entirely. 
    The proof that a Tele and Esquire are different guitars - similar chassis but subtle difference in the voice
    Or maybe a touch of the Eric Johnsons ........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 666
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    To be honest, the biggest thing going for it in my mind is that I like the trad tele look. As soon as the cover is off I find it less appealing.
    I agree. That's why I'm currently working on a Tele neck that sounds like a Strat when it has a cover. I'm really close too.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14473
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    axisus said:
    To be honest, the biggest thing going for it in my mind is that I like the trad tele look. As soon as the cover is off I find it less appealing.
    I agree. That's why I'm currently working on a Tele neck that sounds like a Strat when it has a cover. I'm really close too.
    is it a similar principle to the Twisted Tele neck p/up ?
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 666
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    axisus said:
    is it a similar principle to the Twisted Tele neck p/up ?
    Similar, but the TT is only 1/2 way between Strat and Tele.
    I'm not just making a pickup that sounds like a Strat then slapping on a cover to damp it. I'm making a louder, brighter and clearer pickup than a Strat, then slapping a cover on it for it to be brought back down to Strat tone.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1784
    I've got the Mojo '52 tele set in my thinline and I really like the neck tone.
    I do fancy trying something like a filtertron in their though to see if it gives it a bit more of a kick, and they look badass.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4768
    edited August 2017
    I have a completely stock 1988 USA Telecaster Standard, alder body with rosewood fingerboard. Love the bridge p/up and middle position but blow hot and cold on the neck on its own. With some amps and amp models it can sound good, but with others it can sound too bassy and muffled e.g. Bassman model. It is definitely the most idiosyncratic pick up of any guitar I've ever played.  

One observation though is that it's very sensitive to height adjustments both tonally and getting the right volume balance with the bridge pick up...its a little tricky. However, I've learned to accept it for what it is..i.e. that's the character of a Tele, and I wouldn't want to change the pick up..otherwise it just wouldn't be a typical Tele anymore.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2417
    With a mahogany body and neck it will look like a Tele but might not sound just like one. A mini humbucker would be my choice for those woods in the neck position.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Put in a 4-way switch and it becomes very useful in series with the bridge pickup
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    One to consider is the Jim Weider Big T.   

It is wound by Lindy Fralin

and exclusively  sold by AnalogMan in the USA 

part of the appeal is that it is beefier without being a simple overwind.. so not muddy
    there are plenty of good clips on the AM site

Anyway, it's probably not so well known . 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72763
    axisus said:
    It's the magnetic damping of the neck pickup which does it. It's quite a bit more obvious than you'd think if you've never tried one without a neck pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    ICBM said:
    axisus said:
    It's the magnetic damping of the neck pickup which does it. It's quite a bit more obvious than you'd think if you've never tried one without a neck pickup.
    I has lern'd summat!
  • Best tele neck pickup I ever heard was on a broadcast reissue. It looked exactly like a normal pickup but it was a stacked humbuckers wound to about 7k. Meant it was hum cancelling and sounded round and fat. Did mean the guy had to route the guitar cavity lower to accommodate it so swings and roundabouts 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    edited August 2017
    Tried a few 'brighter/straty ' standard tele neck pickups, and always went back to the Fender nocaster neck and BKP Country Boy bridge. The middle position (which I mostly use) just didn't sound as good. Although, I'm putting together a 2nd tele with an Oil City Winterizer in the neck, which is a vintage firebird wind but done as a full size humbucker. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7597
    Check out the Rio Grande Tallboy tele neck pickups - a more Strat-like sound in a Tele-shaped package - I put one in a Warmoth build and *love* it
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7597
    Red ones are better. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    edited August 2017
    The Bill Wilde neck uses a plastic cover that looks like normal chrome. It's supposed to be more chimey. Cheap and highly rated on the telecaster forum.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Alegree said:
    axisus said:
    I'm interested!