vai - flexible tone

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 883
Have this on now. His guitar sound is awesome. What happened?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14571
    Flex-Able was laboured over under low-budget, analogue tape recording circumstances, in between other work. It has the relaxed vibe of a home demo - mostly because that is what it was.

The board Vai obsessives will know when the switch was made to digital multi-track recording. This will have had some effect on the recorded sound. Then, there was the change from modified Fender and Charvel guitars to the Ibanez JEM and Universe. 

The young Vai had a reputation to build. The older Vai has a reputation to maintain. Different headspace, I guess.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I am not particularly fond of his modern recorded tone, but live it is amazing. Recently revisited Fire Garden, and I never really listen to this sort of music anymore, but god damn there are some 10/10 tones on that album. It's one of the few records I can think of that has some of the most amazing and some of the most dogshit electric guitar sounds ever. It also has some *awful* acoustic tones. Outrageous playing though, of course. Solo on Little Aligator is pure ace. 

Flexable always seemed a bit of a Zappa novelty record. Maybe I need to listen to it some more.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited August 2017
    Flexible era was a carvin x100b 

Sex and Religion was mostly a Soldano SLO100

Bogner XTC mainly on the fire garden album 

All great tones 

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Flexible era was a carvin x100b 

Sex and Religion was mostly a Soldano SLO100

Bogner XTC mainly on the fire garden album