New car suggestions

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1088
edited August 2017 in Off Topic
Tied in with my previous post regarding a busted gear box on my VW Polo, I'm going to be on the search for a new motor.

Want something fairly cheap-ish and reliable, petrol probably as I won't do more than 5000 miles a year, most trips won't be over 10 miles, I work from home most of the time so I won't need to use it for commuting.

Ford's spring to mind as something that will do the job, I owned a Fiesta for 6 years and it was pretty good, parts are cheap and so is the insurance.

Don't wanna spend more than £2k preferably. I'm sure I can find something decent?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    With the low mileage you intend to do treat yourself to a brand new lease car and tick the important reliability box (and in warranty if anything does go wrong) then you don't have to worry about the price of parts.

I always mention leasing on new car threads but it seldom gets any acknowledgment. I don't know why as particularly for low mileage users - taking the right deal makes absolute financial sense.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    Don't wanna spend more than £2-3k preferably.
    That immediately restricts your options to non-franchise dealerships and private sellers. Approved used, manufacturer-backed items start at around £4.5k.

One of your VW Polo's close relatives is the retired person's favourite, the Škoda Fabia. Plenty of mk2 hatchbacks on the market right now. The 1.2 TSi SE is the version that car review magazines usually recommend. If you are not fussed about boot capacity, the SEAT Ibiza is basically the same car underneath.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • What would be the minimum litre engine that'd be decent for motorways? Every month or so I'll have to do long trips for gigs and such if the band van isn't available. Would a 1.4 would be ok?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28457
    A 1.4 should be plenty. If it's a vaguely recent turbo one then a 1.2 would be fine.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Usually it's a couple of guitars, amp heads and pedalboard. Never really have to put a cab in there.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    If you're doing <5000 miles per year stick to petrol. The additional cost of the diesel car won't be made up for by the improved fuel economy.

I used to carry around a load of gear in a 1.2 Clio, a 1.4 will be plenty.

A Skoda Fabia would be a good choice, although avoid the automatics (they're not unreliable if serviced properly, but it's a relatively expensive service and if it's been skipped they can fail).
    If you want really good load carrying ability you could look out for a Fabia estate, which are deeply uncool but exceptionally practical.

Another option is a Skoda Octavia estate.
    For that money you're looking at a 2006-2007 model with about 80k miles on it, but the VAG 1.9 diesel is a very reliable engine (probably moreso than the later 2.0).
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • I thought about the annual mileage being my reason for going back to petrol. 

I'm going to view that Fiesta Climate 1.4 on Monday, but will also keep an eye on others in case someone nabs it in the meantime. I picked it cos Ford's are cheap to run, insure and the parts aren't expensive either plus every garage knows how to work on one. Its just had a new cambelt fitted, done 80K miles and is a 2007 model I think.

My old car had was a 1.9 SDI and it was great for motorways. 

Would I be able to get a Fabia for under £2k though?
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    edited August 2017
    IIRC the water pumps on some of the fiestas can give trouble, certainly on the 1.25

It's a sharp driving car, although you may find the ride very hard compared to the Polo
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • So I went to view the Fiesta Climate earlier today. Initial bodywork inspection brought a dent in the rear bumper, 2 balding tyres, a busted tail brake light. However the dealer said they'd fix that in the total cost. Took it for a test drive and its a pretty nippy little motor, quiet and smooth, no funny noises. Then I viewed another one which had done less miles, a year older but a 3 door. Wasn't as nice and heard weird whining noises when accelerating.
    Took it back and told the dealer I fancied the 5 door (first one I tested) more. Said he'd service and fit a new cambelt all inclusive, all I had to do was slap down £200 deposit, test drive again later this week when all work is done (tyres, bumper and brake light) and if I don't like it I get the deposit back. Sounds good and I got nothing to lose if I don't like it. But it was a nice drive and all the work will be done as inclusive. Check under the bonnet showed no oil leaks, new battery fitted as well.

All in all pretty happy, I think I got a good deal here!
  • *Update*

2nd trip to dealership to inspect the repairs, all has been done as they said, think there's three new tyres which is a bonus. Bodywork looks good and the rear stop lamp has been fixed. Checked oil and its been serviced as promised. Unfortunately the boss wasn't there and I couldn't sort out a driveaway insurance. I could transfer my existing one over however I still have to get rid of my other car which is sitting in a side road. If it gets vandalised then I've had it haven't I? 

I told the boss' assistant I'd come back tomorrow (car's also untaxed too) so couldn't risk driving it home and being stopped.
    I could do the driveaway insurance for like 5 days, but eventually I'm going to have insure the new car.
    Would I be good to keep the old one un insured til its scrapped/sold? There'll be a £25 fee or whatever to change the policy but its going to be better than buying new from another insurer?
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    Honda? Civic or Jazz? The 1.4l Civic with the triangular exhaust 
  • This is a Fiesta Climate, 1.4 2007 model. 

Just wondering what to do with the insurance, whether to take out a driveaway one or transfer existing one as my old VW is still sitting on the road and I could still shift it if someone is handy with a spanner and wants to pick up a second hand gearbox. Mechanically it drives fine, the engine can go on for another 100,000 miles imho. 

I'm sure I'm not the only person selling a car that's insurance has been transferred to a new car.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    This is a Fiesta Climate, 1.4 2007 model. 

Just wondering what to do with the insurance, whether to take out a driveaway one or transfer existing one as my old VW is still sitting on the road and I could still shift it if someone is handy with a spanner and wants to pick up a second hand gearbox. Mechanically it drives fine, the engine can go on for another 100,000 miles imho. 

I'm sure I'm not the only person selling a car that's insurance has been transferred to a new car.
    You could try advertising in the classifieds here https://uk-polos.net/index.php or the many other VW forums. Probably best chance of finding someone interested in it for spares or repair whilst avoiding ebay jokers.

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    If you stick it on the drive and SORN it, it doesn't need to be insured till you decide what to do with it.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1088
    edited August 2017
    ronnyb said:
    If you stick it on the drive and SORN it, it doesn't need to be insured till you decide what to do with it.
    I don't have a driveway, its parked on the next street out the way of anyone and its still taxed.
  • Octafish said:
    This is a Fiesta Climate, 1.4 2007 model. 

You could try advertising in the classifieds here https://uk-polos.net/index.php or the many other VW forums. Probably best chance of finding someone interested in it for spares or repair whilst avoiding ebay jokers.

Its either that or Gumtree and local adverts. Had someone interested but they found another motor for £200.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    ronnyb said:
    I don't have a driveway, its parked on the next street out the way of anyone and its still taxed.
    Will the dealer take it for the scrap value? If it will get there, that is… I assume it's not actually really worth anything, so if it just saves you the trouble of getting rid of it then it doesn't matter.

I sort-of traded my last car in like that - they gave me a rough scrap value for it against the new one, but to be honest I'd have accepted nothing, just to be able to drive to the dealer and leave it there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    ronnyb said:
    Will the dealer take it for the scrap value? If it will get there, that is… I assume it's not actually really worth anything, so if it just saves you the trouble of getting rid of it then it doesn't matter.

I sort-of traded my last car in like that - they gave me a rough scrap value for it against the new one, but to be honest I'd have accepted nothing, just to be able to drive to the dealer and leave it there.

Its not driveable so I'd have to tow it there if they would take it. I would let it go for £200 or so if someone wants to buy a 2nd hand gear box and possibly clutch. Scrap is maybe £75? Its just cos I've replaced cambelt, alternator, wheel bearings, power steering pump and its just been serviced. So if someone can put those parts in themselves its still worth having.

Guess if I'm scrapping it I don't need to insure it anymore.