Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you print your digital photos?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    edited August 2017
    I use an app called Freeprints..it lets you upload 45 photos a month and you only pay postage which is admittedly £4.95 
    The hope being that you want bigger photos etc to upgrade which is where they make their money.
    I'll get 45 prints every now and again in case the PC crashes 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The only ones printed are for posting to my nan and mother-in-law, who are 89 and 80.  

Everybody else is OK with digital versions, but we do back up what's on our PC and phones/cloud in two places (DVD and external hard drive).
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24613
    tone1 said:
    I use an app called Freeprints..it lets you upload 45 photos a month and you only pay postage which is admittedly £4.95 
    The hope being that you want bigger photos etc to upgrade which is where they make their money.
    I'll get 45 prints every now and again in case the pic crashes 
    Mmm.

Do they get the intellectual property rights in your photos then?
  • Ooh - interesting point!  Our son started school last year and we were surprised to see it would cost £9.99 to buy the IPR of all the pictures taken of him.

We (maybe mis-)understood that the photographer keeps copyright of the kids and can sell them but never chased it up.  Instead we dropped out of the lame randomly-selected group shots they seem to do.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24613
    The photographer (or his employer) usually gets the rights.

But sometimes uploading them includes terms and conditions that transfers those rights to the site owners. Or doesn't remove your rights, but allows the site owners to use them as they wish as well - even to the point of selling them.

Have to have a good look at their terms when I get a mo.
  • Ooh - interesting point!  Our son started school last year and we were surprised to see it would cost £9.99 to buy the IPR of all the pictures taken of him.

We (maybe mis-)understood that the photographer keeps copyright of the kids and can sell them but never chased it up.  Instead we dropped out of the lame randomly-selected group shots they seem to do.

The person taking the photo almost always keeps the rights. 

But yes, "free " sites with photos or "photo competitions" are often ways for people to effectively buy thousands of stock photos for free. 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1307
    10 quid for 200 7x5 prints from Asda till the end of August. Have printed 600 so far and I'm defo coming back for more.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916
    Nope….I have printed just 1 and framed and kept.