NGD Tokai TJ60 (Les Paul Junior doublecutaway style)

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
edited August 2017 in Guitar
Well I think it's a TJ60. it's 2002 model.
just arrived haven't plugged in yet but so far I am very impressed. I really like the neck. solid guitar that's not heavy.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7776
    That's Yellow! Good guitars, enjoy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    its more mustardy in real life. just had a good play on it and i'm amazed. its set up perfectly intonation spot on. I'm scared to restring it.

really impressed my first tokai guitar makes me think i should get a love rock instead of the expensive les paul i've been look for for a long time.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    excellent :D
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    How does this compare to the juniors you and I bought from GAK a bit ago?
    edited August 2017
    It feels like a different guitar. It's definitely been set up well the intonation is spot on. Though I've been able to do the same on the Gibson more or less. 

the necks are different not as thick on the tokai. I can really play fast but it may be the low action. the Gibson P90 has more bite to it. 

The Gibson seems a better quality guitar in terms of finish and feels a bit more solid when it comes to the finish and hardwear (but the tokai is older so it's maybe not a fair comparison) but still a great guitar. And it has the knob indicators  

Though maybe it's psychological but I wish I had a gibson one. I will change the truss rod cover for sure and maybe change the tuners to the white ones as it has the chrome ones on it.

There is one dislike and thats the paint finish on the front of the guitar. You can really see the wood through it which is fine but you can see pieces of wood and whilst I don't mind this at the back but it gives it a weird stripe type look. 

EDIT: other good points the bone nut is great and the guitar stays in tune fantastically. 

• That looks great! 
    Read on another thread about the guitar that you would like to try a Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 in the Tokai. Ash at Oil city pickups is making me a P90 with the same specs (alnico 2, 8.3k) as the SD. He is also making me a wiring harness to replace the pots/printed circuit board that Gibson uses. The Oil city p90 is quite a lot cheaper than the SD.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice. Just scored a Tokai hard tail myself. I know what you mean about the out of box playability. Incredibly good. If you're looking for a high end single cut imho the very best new Tokais eclipse Gibson CS - I own both. 2k spent on a Tokai gets you into territory where Gibson is charging 2, 3 or even 4 times that. The guy at Tokai Germany, Gottfried is worth talking to if you want a nice, light, solid flamey top Tokai in lieu of an R9.
    markj said:
    Read on another thread about the guitar that you would like to try a Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 in the Tokai. Ash at Oil city pickups is making me a P90 with the same specs (alnico 2, 8.3k) as the SD. He is also making me a wiring harness to replace the pots/printed circuit board that Gibson uses. The Oil city p90 is quite a lot cheaper than the SD.
    That's really interesting. I haven't had a proper look at the wiring yet in the tokai. I'd be interested to switch the pick up and maybe to some vintage wiring in there. to give it some thing different from the Gibson. I feel more inclined to make changes to the tokai rather than the gibson. 

I've gone junior mad. I want another one :-(  I think they are my favourite guitars. 
    As you can probably tell I like tinkering!