Jcm800 2203 is huge . Any downsizing suggestions ?!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    It has a 5w mode but I think the full 20w sounds better - you just need to balance the lead and output masters. The cleans are lovely on this amp as well, I rarely play clean but it's nice to have the option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • get a Marshall 4010 combo - it's small, sounds good quiet, and fucking roars when you turn it up
    I had one ! Great amps but not much of a downsize !
    it's about 1/4 of the size of a halfstack! :)

mine doesn;t sound boxy, it sounds frickin ace, all about the right speaker ;)
    Mine was an '81 vertical input single channel with the 15ohm 65 speaker if I recall,  whichever it was it was described as the more desirable one by @icbm. ;

It was boxy. 
    Its a 1x12

its boxy. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    5150 iii 50W - said it before, it is the amp you're looking for! 

If the gain on the overdrive channel 2 isn't enough (it is) then a boost in front to push it works really well. Then there's channel 3 for the sweetest lead channel with seperate volume. You'll stop your search after gigging one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    get a Marshall 4010 combo - it's small, sounds good quiet, and fucking roars when you turn it up
    I had one ! Great amps but not much of a downsize !
    it's about 1/4 of the size of a halfstack! :)

mine doesn;t sound boxy, it sounds frickin ace, all about the right speaker ;)
    Mine was an '81 vertical input single channel with the 15ohm 65 speaker if I recall,  whichever it was it was described as the more desirable one by @icbm. ;

It was boxy. 
    Its a 1x12

its boxy. 
    Same with the one I had .
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344

TTBZ said:
    It has a 5w mode but I think the full 20w sounds better - you just need to balance the lead and output masters. The cleans are lovely on this amp as well, I rarely play clean but it's nice to have the option.
    The full power always sounds better on amps !
    i think I need to try one . I had an orange tiny terror hard wired which I loved, small Amos can be great !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    professorben said:

It was boxy. 
    Its a 1x12

its boxy. 
    The G12-65 is the best speaker if you want that 'woody' midrange tone. If you want bigger, deeper and less boxy then the G12-80 is better.

It will still never be a closed-back 4x12" - or even 2x12" - though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:
    professorben said:

It was boxy. 
    Its a 1x12

its boxy. 
    The G12-65 is the best speaker if you want that 'woody' midrange tone. If you want bigger, deeper and less boxy then the G12-80 is better.

It will still never be a closed-back 4x12" - or even 2x12" - though.

The problem with the whole boxy thing is people think they need to crank and boost the mids, to me that's what causes the small amp sound. 

Ive had plenty of 112 combos that didn't sound boxy, but that's because I play with balanced mids, I don't boost for solos and i don't want to sound like a 212 or 412! 
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    My 4104 sounds v large. Much smaller than a head and 4x12 but heavy as hell. 
    As my L5/s1 disc will testify.