changing from 10's-9's

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    bertie said:
    mike_l said:

When changing string gauge from 10's - 9's is i

I saw this and immediately thought of Syd Barratt...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I thought of Kirstie Allsopp.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    That'd be interesting if you can post your results on 'ere, I look forward to that.

And thanks but it's a constant struggle to break away from a habitual and messy technique into something more reliable and disciplined, which I think will help me to plan and play more interesting stuff on the hoof. I've organised some tuition to help me with this, hopefully it will help.

Will do. I'll check with @octatonic as to what information to put up, and we'll go from there.

I do got to question why you think your technique is "messy"? I know mine is, but yours certainly isn't.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Im determined to give my truss rod a tweak! Because i cant play this particular guitar. Its a 52 rei tele. I had a close look at the strings last night ( new specs from costco!  I can See!! and only 60 notes for the transitions!). 
    The string height was all over the place so I corrected that . I spent the rest of the night looking for the truss rod adjustment nut but had to resort to the tube. Anyway tonight i will be removing the neck!! (i know i cant believe it either,im shitting meself!) and giving the rod a tweak. I think it may need a little tightening as i think it bows slightly inwards. Just a little tweak and see where it takes me.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    octatonic;168391" said:

Yeah, right.
    !
    Those two simple words have caught me in a dilemma. Now I don't know whether I'm a sad fantasist or simply a liar.

As you were...
  • JAYJO said:
    Im determined to give my truss rod a tweak! Because i cant play this particular guitar. Its a 52 rei tele. I had a close look at the strings last night ( new specs from costco!  I can See!! and only 60 notes for the transitions!). 
    The string height was all over the place so I corrected that . I spent the rest of the night looking for the truss rod adjustment nut but had to resort to the tube. Anyway tonight i will be removing the neck!! (i know i cant believe it either,im shitting meself!) and giving the rod a tweak. I think it may need a little tightening as i think it bows slightly inwards. Just a little tweak and see where it takes me.
    Don't adjust it just for the sake of it. Or rather, do, just for the hell of it!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I thought of Kirstie Allsopp.

That was nothing to do with Berties saturday night shirt though was it?

>:)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    JAYJO said:
    Don't adjust it just for the sake of it. Or rather, do, just for the hell of it!
    To be honest i dont know if it needs it. Ive seen various ways to check it but im still unsure. I will do the simplest way ive seen and put a ruler (straight edge) on it and have a look. Id rather i didnt have to adjust it to be honest.
  • JAYJO said:
    JAYJO said:
    To be honest i dont know if it needs it. Ive seen various ways to check it but im still unsure. I will do the simplest way ive seen and put a ruler (straight edge) on it and have a look. Id rather i didnt have to adjust it to be honest.
    Seems people are just wandering around in the dark and changing things willy nilly.

Take a look at the post I made previously in the thread, the Frets site contains links that will walk you through the fundamentals, from there you can make informed decisions on what to tweak and what not to. 

That being said, there's nothing to be worried about when it comes to taking off the neck and tweaking the truss rod - as long as you use the correct sized tool and don't force anything. Adhering to recommended measurements is one thing but the results - subjectively speaking - are everything. 

• vizviz Frets: 10699

Just one thing not right on that - the floyd edge trems aren't meant to sit parallel to the guitar body; there's a sort of short line embossed on the side of them that shows the angle they're meant to sit at - it's about 5 degrees tilted upwards towards the nut.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:

Just one thing not right on that - the floyd edge trems aren't meant to sit parallel to the guitar body; there's a sort of short line embossed on the side of them that shows the angle they're meant to sit at - it's about 5 degrees tilted upwards towards the nut.
    He's set that trem up correctly from an angle point of view, the knife edge is part of the baseplate. 

You're talking about the ones that have a visible section of the knife edge.

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Quite right, it's an old one. Didn't notice. Also I didn't notice that what I referred to as the short line is actually the side of the knife edge! Nice 1, cheers.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.