Anyone use an iRig ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
I've just bought one to go with my iPad and I'm floundering in the sea of virtual effects apps...  What's good / crap ?  

Yes, I know this is effectively the same as my other thread but that one has dried up so I thought I'd reword it and try again !  =)
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7882
    I have one.  Used it for five minutes about five years ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    Oh. :dissapointed: 

I am hoping to use it to transform my live setup into a billion amps, pedals and mind blowing effects that will hide the mediocrity of my playing.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7451
    I've used Jamup/Pro, and BIAS

I really liked both and both go on sale at decent discounts fairly frequently (check price history on appshopper.com ) 

If you want to get fancy you can use Audiobus to host a guitar-centric app like those or Amplitube, then run it via other standalone iOS effects apps (check out Audiobus demos on Youtube if you aren't familiar with it - it's very clever - try and use a recentish video as it has added features and compatibility regularly over time) 

Your best bet will be to join the iPad Musicians group on Facebook and ask there - there are people who make lots of music purely on iOS and whilst many are electronic music types there are plenty of guitarists too 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Hi used it a while ago
    Found a lot of the amp stuff very noisy and spent forever fiddling with noise gates on higher gain
    So from memory Bias which was good ish
    Amplitude Slash and the Fender stuff all was ok although as I said Bias sort of did away with them and then got a Kemper which truly made the lot not worth the hassle. 

• I've thought about using my ipad a few times. I think you can get some thing that plugs in to use a pedal board ? But never tried that 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    I would never use one seriously. They're fun on the iPad etc. Good for practise. 
  • I have the itrack doc. It's really very good. Sound quality is excellent. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I had one and put it in the bin .. noisy piece of junk. Get a Line 6 Sonic Port.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • hairboyhairboy Frets: 4
    Bought a iRig HD 2 recently, as I can't turn my amp on at night. This model comes with "full" version of Amplitube 4 for both PC and iOS.  It didn't have much choice in the way of high gain amps, so I bought an additional metal pack for iPad, which includes Engl, 5150, amongst others.  Not bad at all for £10.  It's certainly good for practicing without annoying your family or neighbour.  I'm happy enough with the sound quality. I might even get the Bluetooth pedal board as well, as it's a bit fiddly switching between settings on the iPad screen.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10419
    The trouble with the normal iRig is it's basically connecting the guitar into an input designed for a cheap electret mic .... with a normal hi Z guitar this is noisy way of doing things. I built my own just by using a simple FET buffer stage  and tie down resistor so the phone thought an external mic was plugged in. I enjoy using Jamup for practice on headphones and the little multitrack is excellent for song ideas
    I have actually used my phone running Jamup into clean amp for band practice but it's not ideal 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • If anyone does want to buy a Line 6 Sonic Port (the regular version) I have one I'd sell for £24 posted, it's not cosmetically perfect (some marks to the black plastic) but otherwise it's fine, boxed with cables.

PM incoming.  I haven't even tried my new iRig2 yet but @Fretwired 's argument makes sense and I take his word that it's noisy.  I'll have your Sonicport sir!
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I have one from years ago, thought it sounded okay for practice but the main reason why I haven't used it more than about half a dozen times is that the ipad anyways felt precarious. When I put the thing down the guitar cable would constantly pull on the ipad which meant that I was always catching it from falling on the floor which then meant my guitar would unbalance from my knee and then I'd have to catch that. Oh, and I was always untangling my headphones from the guitar cable. Basically my juggling skills improved..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm planning on using the iPad live in the band (or at least give it a try).  I've bought an iPad holder that clamps onto the mic stand and I'll do whatever I can to 'drunken-punter proof' everything.  That and keep my cattle-prod charged.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    If anyone does want to buy a Line 6 Sonic Port (the regular version) I have one I'd sell for £24 posted, it's not cosmetically perfect (some marks to the black plastic) but otherwise it's fine, boxed with cables.

Why is that guy doing some sort of weird rock jump during a volume swell?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    edited August 2017
    I bought a iRig a few years ago in an Amazon Black Friday deal. Tried it a few times but found it was hissy as hell so it went in a drawer.  Found it a couple of months ago in a clear out so thought I'd give it another go... and it didn't work at all. Bust.
    It went in the bin.