What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Lemmy wasn't just a bass player though.

He was god.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Nobody's mentioned Jeff Berlin, so I will.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

pointless question. Gene Simmons has trademarked himself as the greatest bassist.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    sgosden said:

pointless question. Gene Simmons has trademarked himself as the greatest bassist.

Objection your honour!

I thought we'd previously ascertained that Gene Simmons was a talentless, hoof-wanking bunglecunt? Or was that someone else?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    impmann said:
    sgosden said:

Objection your honour!

I thought we'd previously ascertained that Gene Simmons was a talentless, hoof-wanking bunglecunt? Or was that someone else?
    No, you're right, that was Gene..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    blobb said:
    Richard Sinclair.

What do you mean, you don't know who he is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZrLGybwTuU

One of my favourite players as well.

I had the pleasure of working on a Caravan gig promoted by a friend (at THe Fridge in Brixton if memory serves) - me and my bass-playing mate were doing the catering of all things (Richard was eating a macrobiotic diet which necessitated some research!). While we were feeding and watering the band my mate got talking to Richard Sinclair about Winter Wine and a particular bass run that he couldn't get his head and fingers round. No bass to hand but Richard was happy to talk him through it.

But, what sticks in the memory is later during the gig - my mate and I were stood at the side of the stage and, when it got to that point in Winter Wine, Richard wandered over to where we were and proceeded to show my mate exactly what and where on the neck he was playing. Made my mate's night!

Lovely bloke and a great all round musician as well as bassist.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm confused. I've been repeatedly told it's @Bridgehouse ;
    Although thinking about it, exclusively by him.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2017
    ennspek said:
    I'm confused. I've been repeatedly told it's @Bridgehouse ;;
    We'll find out on the 2nd Sept ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ennspek said:
    I'm confused. I've been repeatedly told it's @Bridgehouse ;
    I thought you said the ear syringe session had made your hearing a lot better, mate?

You still seem to be confusing "greatest" and "shittest"

Back to the docs for you..
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ennspek said:
    I'm confused. I've been repeatedly told it's @Bridgehouse ;;
    We'll find out on the 2nd Sept ;-)
    It's not just my farts that can clear a room...
  • Not the greatest, and he is basically a Tory cheesemonger now, but an honourable mention for Alex James is definitely warranted.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lots of greats already said, I'd just like to add Krist Novothingy from Nirvana.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I think that Colin Greenwood is unfairly overlooked. He always plays exactly what the song requires, whether it's simple or outrageous.
    As to the greatest, I'll probably add my name to the McCartney camp.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    KKJale said:

Not to detract from any of the great players mentioned but I'm going to add to the chorus of those who nominate Motown’s great James Jamerson. 

It's the sheer relentless flow of his ideas, so fluid and effortless. He was a master at hooks and inventing lines which drove the song, and a perfect example of the way great bassists link the drummer to the singer with a foot in both camps, rhythmic and harmonic. His timing was bonkers: you could spend weeks learning just one of his parts and still be discovering tiny but all-important subtleties of grace notes. 

The fact that all this stuff was improvised on the spot from head charts and recorded live with the rest of the band in a handful of takes, at most – and probably pissed – makes it all the more amazing. 

When I first switched from guitar to bass as my main instrument (which it was for a number of years) Standing in the Shadows of Motown was my main primer.  It's a book of Jamerson transcriptions with some biographical material, interviews with greats who'd been influenced by him who also play the audio examples.  I substantially learned to play funk bass and read bass clef out of that book and the related recordings.

I still think Macca (also a huge Jamerson fan of course) shades it as the greatest, but everything you say about Jamerson is spot on.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ColsCols Frets: 7107
    I have to agree with the OP; Jack Bruce, a great musician, composer and vocalist.  Honourable mentions for John Paul Jones, Flea, Andy Fraser and Les Claypool.

i can't believe that no-one's mentioned John Deacon though...
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3334
    John Deacon triggered a few others - Dee Murray and Bob Birch from Elton John's band and John Giblin's work with Kate Bush and I do like Guy Pratt
  • vizviz Frets: 10720
    I think that Colin Greenwood is unfairly overlooked. He always plays exactly what the song requires, whether it's simple or outrageous.

Nice one :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I don't think there's any such thing as the greatest, there are so many styles and spectrums of influence.

What I can say are my favourites - Billy Sheehan and Geddy Lee.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Was listening to a Joan Armatrading album from the late '80s earlier, which features some lovely fretless from Pino Paladino. He was brilliant at what he did.
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    So many great bassists... my personal favourite is Dougie Thomson, the powerhouse behind supertramp.  
    A +1 for Colin greenwood - his playing on airbag is a sublime example - and he says it is because he couldn't think of anything to play!