Sell Stingray for lighter bass?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    ICBM said:
    DefaultM said:

I'm only really playing bass in the covers band. I'm good enough that I can play any pink floyd song, but if I was in an originals band I seriously doubt I could come up with my own interesting parts or know what I'm doing.
    That's never stopped me :D.
    Nor me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    Haha the only reason I've got a stingray is down to luck, otherwise I'd still have my old squier.

Went in cash converters and saw a Mayones bass at £280. Shit myself and immediately bought it, but it was an unlined 6 string fretless and I couldn't get on with it at all.
    Straight swapped it for a mint Stingray 5 with a guy on basschat.
    DefaultM said:
    Haha the only reason I've got a stingray is down to luck, otherwise I'd still have my old squier.

Went in cash converters and saw a Mayones bass at £280. Shit myself and immediately bought it, but it was an unlined 6 string fretless and I couldn't get on with it at all.
    Straight swapped it for a mint Stingray 5 with a guy on basschat.
    An unlined 6 string fretless would make my brain seep out of my ears...
    It sounded really nice when I actually managed to hit a note in tune. 
    The squier has turned up. I actually really like it. It's only fractionally lighter than the stingray though! Will have to see how I am at band practice with it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    The squier has turned up. I actually really like it. It's only fractionally lighter than the stingray though! Will have to see how I am at band practice with it.
    I definitely recommend one of the wide padded Mono straps - did wonders for my ability to keep playing live..
    I had it on a wide padded leather strap at practice last night and it was certainly easier to play than the stingray. It just seems to be a bit neck heavy so I'll have a look at those ultralight tuners.

I've ordered the quarter pounder PJ set and some rotosound 77 flatwounds already using my Amazon and nectar ebay vouchers. So at the minute it's cost me £135 of actual cash which seems a bargain.
    DefaultM said:
    I had it on a wide padded leather strap at practice last night and it was certainly easier to play than the stingray. It just seems to be a bit neck heavy so I'll have a look at those ultralight tuners.

I've ordered the quarter pounder PJ set and some rotosound 77 flatwounds already using my Amazon and nectar ebay vouchers. So at the minute it's cost me £135 of actual cash which seems a bargain.
    The ultralights do help. I like the QP set too - specially if you want a hotter more modern sound. 

And its def. a bargain so far!
    I've tried a Roger Waters signature bass before which has the quarter pounders in, and my immediate reaction was 'wow this is powerful'. I really liked it. 

The only thing is that I don't know how to wire it. At the minute I've got a volume for each pickup and a tone, but I'm considering swapping for volume, tone and a 3 way switch.
    A volume, tone and then blend is also an option but I'm not really sure how that is better than the 2 volumes option.
    DefaultM said:
    I've tried a Roger Waters signature bass before which has the quarter pounders in, and my immediate reaction was 'wow this is powerful'. I really liked it. 

The only thing is that I don't know how to wire it. At the minute I've got a volume for each pickup and a tone, but I'm considering swapping for volume, tone and a 3 way switch.
    A volume, tone and then blend is also an option but I'm not really sure how that is better than the 2 volumes option.
    I'm having the same debate about my relic PJ build. I think I've decided on Vol/Tone and 3 way selector.

I did debate vol vol tone but I want a single vol for killing vol at gigs easily. 

I think blend affects the tone too much.
  • I like vol/vol tone on a Jazz but problem is once you get away from a perfect balance noise will be introduced.  On a traditional PJ you can't get fully noise cancelling anyway, unless you use a humbucking jazz single.

The Yamaha BBs use a 3 way selector and it sounds pretty good like that
    I like vol/vol tone on a Jazz but problem is once you get away from a perfect balance noise will be introduced.  On a traditional PJ you can't get fully noise cancelling anyway, unless you use a humbucking jazz single.

The Yamaha BBs use a 3 way selector and it sounds pretty good like that
    I'm considering a split coil Jazz on my PJ build. That might be an option...