"cheap "artist signature guitars and does the artist use them live?

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I follow Jared James Nichols on Facebook. Great blues player, he's always posting videos on his Epiphone guitar. It's not signature, it's just what he likes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    There continues to be a market sector that believes that ownership of a guitar that looks the same as the one associated with a given artiste will imbue the purchaser with some (or all) of the talent of the said artiste. 

Obviously, a guitar design with a widdlestick neck profile lends itself to shred style playing. Some body shapes and colour schemes are undeniably distinctive and/or genre appropriate. 

There is also the phenomenon of audience expectations. The instruments that can be seen onstage suggest to some people what sort of music is likely to be performed. e.g. Explorers are not associated with lounge Jazz.
    Country. Same as the Flying V!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14482
    Artist signature model guitars, basses and amplifiers exist because there is deemed to be a ready market for them. Continuing interest in, for the sake of argument, Kurt Cobain brings forth a steady stream of Jaguar and Mustang based mongrel guitars. 

Ultimately, it is not the guitars, it is the player. You cannot purchase that. (Not yet!)

The ex-Peter Green, ex-Gary Moore Gibson Les Paul sounded differently in their respective hands ... and not just because of their different amplification.

In a recent thread about the latest Fender MIM Hendrix Monterey Stratocaster re-issue, somebody commented that the guitar sounded lousy except when demonstrated by Greg Koch. If Gregory manages to draw something from the guitar that other demonstrators could not, it must be in there to be drawn out. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123 said:
    J Mascis has used his sig Squire Jazzmaster live; though he has upgraded the pickups. 
    so he's put his name to a signature guitar ,but he thinks the pick ups are crap ! ????
    They are P90s not JM pickups in his sigs, so he probably fits JM pickups
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Artist signature model guitars, basses and amplifiers exist because there is deemed to be a ready market for them. Continuing interest in, for the sake of argument, Kurt Cobain brings forth a steady stream of Jaguar and Mustang based mongrel guitars. 

Ultimately, it is not the guitars, it is the player. You cannot purchase that. (Not yet!)

The ex-Peter Green, ex-Gary Moore Gibson Les Paul sounded differently in their respective hands ... and not just because of their different amplification.

In a recent thread about the latest Fender MIM Hendrix Monterey Stratocaster re-issue, somebody commented that the guitar sounded lousy except when demonstrated by Greg Koch. If Gregory manages to draw something from the guitar that other demonstrators could not, it must be in there to be drawn out. 
    Some days I sit down with my 64 Precision and it sounds like utter crap. Other times I think it sounds immense. I know it sounds great - I've heard some talented players with it.

At the end of the day, the inconsistency is my playing and not the bass itself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 293
    Whilst some artists play their signature model live, I think a number of them often use a variety of guitars in a recording studio.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Rob Chapman plays his sig models .....
    (Ducks)..
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Buzz Osborne uses his EGC sigs a lot 
  • Is Brett Hinds using his Epiphone Flying V live? 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24833
    Bridgehouse said:
    Some days I sit down with my 64 Precision and it sounds like utter crap. Other times I think it sounds immense. I know it sounds great - I've heard some talented players with it.

That's an interesting point - some days I plug in my stunning sounding CS or my vintage 335 - and am struck by how poor they sound.

Some days I either don't play well - or my self-perception is 'out'.

I once gig a gig with Arlen Roth who played an ESP Tele with Seymour Duncans on it - he sounded immense. The guitar was almost unplayable to me - ridiculous action and strings that were too heavy for me. The 'real' guys seem to be able to get a good sound out of anything....
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Bridgehouse said:

That's an interesting point - some days I plug in my stunning sounding CS or my vintage 335 - and am struck by how poor they sound.

I once gig a gig with Arlen Roth who played an ESP Tele with Seymour Duncans on it - he sounded immense. The guitar was almost unplayable to me - ridiculous action and strings that were too heavy for me. The 'real' guys seem to be able to get a good sound out of anything....
    Sometimes I have seconds of brilliance and a squier affinity P I tried sounded just brilliant.

Then there's too much time where everything sounds off. The real greats got "that" sound 100% of the time.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
     The real greats got "that" sound 100% of the time.
    It's like I said to Pat Metheny:
    "It is astonishing that you have consistently produced that sound for 40 years. I would pay good money to look in your sock drawer".

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22983
    Bridgehouse said:

You did a gig with Arlen Roth?  Nicely understated.  :o
  • danodano Frets: 1594
    Whitecat said:
    Jim Adkins of Jimmy Eat World plays his Fender JA-90s live exclusively. 
    Those Thinline JA90s are really nice guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24833
    Philly_Q said:
    You did a gig with Arlen Roth?  Nicely understated.  :o
    Yes - but I don't like to talk about it :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10297
    Is Brett Hinds using his Epiphone Flying V live? 
    I think he was using it at Download this year.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I would guess that was probably his old Gibson custom shop V that his Epiphone sig is modelled on
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10297
    BloodEagle said: 
    I would guess that was probably his old Gibson custom shop V that his Epiphone sig is modelled on
    You may very well be correct.I was harking back to a drunken Saturday night watching it on Sky Arts.My memory is hazy :-)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Johnny Marr plays his sig as do the Cribs. Saw Sonic Youth play theirs although they use a bunch guitars live due to various tunnings. Does Campilongo play his sig?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7340
    edited August 2017
    PRS SE Santana - sure, he uses one in each colour all the time!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>