Worth exploring the whole boost thing? Which one?

MartinBMartinB Frets: 214
For the last few years I've used some kind of overdrive pedal in my setup and run the amp pretty much clean.  I've recently started using a new DIY amp, which is like a 6V6 version of the Marshall 1987 circuit with a post-phase inverter master volume, and that's causing me to re-think how I do things (combined with spending a couple of days in the studio paying more attention to my sound than usual).  I'm still running the amp somewhat clean, but now with a little breakup if I dig in a bit harder as that's much more fun to play than a truly clean clean, and I can still back off the guitar a touch to get it cleaner than that. 
I've been using a home-built Red Llama clone when I want to crunch it up a bit, but since using the new amp I've taken to setting the gain on the pedal at minimum and adjusting the volume for a slight boost. I think this is adding only a little dirt from the pedal but pushing the front end of the amp a bit more, and I'm not wild about how the Red Llama responds on the low strings with humbuckers. 
Since I seem to be getting the best results with the least possible amount of dirt from the pedal itself, I'm pondering whether a boost pedal might make more sense.  I wouldn't want to spend more than £40-£50 ish, so that would suggest either cheaper pedals or going the DIY route.  I have a few AC128 germanium transistors around if I wanted to mess with the Rangemaster idea, though I don't know whether that or a less coloured boost would suit me better.  Any thoughts about what might be worth trying first? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1196
    I built one of these.
    http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/EPic_Boost/p847124_9589757.aspx

Sits at the front of my chain. Transparent, and always on for me. works well in front of other pedals. Sounds like its the sort of thing you might be after? I love mine.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited August 2017
    All boosts are different and offer a different slant on proceedings. As a Mr J Page  and R Blackmore found, the pre amps of unsuspecting devices can offer desirable results. So, like anything, you have to see what works and often will be a happy accident.. I say it often on here - there are so many inexpensive gems to be had off AliExpress that you can buy dozens of pedals and  you WILL find happy and unexpected answers to your tonal Nirvana... Start there.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Is that based on the Xotic EP boost?  I like the idea of the bright and fat switches.  I haven't entirely settled on whether I bring my 335 copy or Jazzmaster out for gigs (I used them about 50/50 when recording the last batch of songs), and like to vary it now and again.  So having the option of a low-end tightened boost for the 335 or a fuller voiced boost for the Jazzmaster might be just the thing. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24573
    Suhr Koko boost. Original 2 button version.

Superb pedal.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 214
    57Deluxe said:
    All boosts are different and offer a different slant on proceedings. As a Mr J Page  and R Blackmore found, the pre amps of unsuspecting devices can offer desirable results. So, like anything, you have to see what works and often will be a happy accident.
    Yep, it's a tricky thing, especially as I can't really walk into a guitar shop and try things through my own amp at gig volume (particularly as I'd probably buy secondhand if I don't DIY). 
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 214
    Right, going into decisive mode, what I'll do is whack together something on perfboard and see if I like it before I box it up.  I have quite a few bits stashed away already, so it'll be cheap to do.  A simple boost with the ability to trim off some low end to taste seems like the right idea.  Looking at either a modded Rangemaster with input cap blend, a FET booster similar to the one linked above, or alternatively I found a schematic for the Catalinbread Naga Viper which is kind of a silicon Rangemaster interpretation with a bit more tweakability.