Anyone else use pure nickel strings?

What's Hot
JDEJDE Frets: 1092
I know talking about strings is dull as dishwater, but I've had a beer and my wife is watching some total tripe on to, so....
A few years ago I started using pure nickel strings on most of my electrics. I've tried most of the non-made in a shed in Zanzibar boutique brands. I like Pyramids the best but they can be a real bitch to get hold of sometimes. Ernie Ball Rock n Rolls are decent, I use these the most because they're readily available. I really like the sound and feel of Gibson Les Paul signature strings, but the quality is flaky (never had so many new plain strings snap on stretching in ever). D'addario are becoming really hard to find.
What pure nickel strings do you like? Should I give some of the smaller more boutique makers a go? I use 10's or 11's.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    I like the sound of EB rock'n'rolls but they're too expensive to use all the time and don't come in 11-54
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Yeah, I feel that. I've overcome the cost of pure nickels by just not changing them as often. I'd also like to try a set of 12's, but there's not a lot of pure nickel 12 sets out there, I don't want a wound G and I'm not gonna faff about with buying a separate plain g from another set. Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    edited August 2017
    I've been considering trying some. What are the main differences between nickel plated?
  • They are a perfect match on my AmStd Strat, and so far positive on my Les Paul. Using pyramid (buy in bulk from Thomman, very cheap per pack this way) and DR pure blues (these seem to be a bit higher quality and feel/sound more robust). 
    edited August 2017
    Warmer, lower tension and the winds on the low strings feel like they're closer together, so they're a bit "slippy." Not like flatwound slippy, but more playable than nickel plated, for me. They're really good for a vintage-esque 50's/60's sound. They are more expensive than plated, but the wound strings do last longer, for me, and they do feel much better in my opinion. They're not that much different from plated, but it's enough for me to pay the extra £3 a set or whatever it is.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6119
    I've been using D'addario Pure Nickel 9-41's for a year or so now. Perfect match for a Telecaster.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Yip, Pyramid nickel strings are what I've used for years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14454
    tFB Trader
    I like the 'softer' tone of pure nickel but maybe it is just me but they appear to go dead far quicker
    Yeah, they do go deader quicker, presumably because they're more malleable. I quite like the "dead" sound though, I hate really zippy strings on electrics.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1496
    I user Kerly Music 50's Nickel strings.  I have my sets custom made because I like 10,12,16,26,36,46 & 11,13,17,28,38,50, but he does standard 10 & 11 sets.  I've had no problems with them and they sound great and last well.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8032
    DR Pure Blues for me.  My favourites.  
    @PhilKing - never heard of Kerly. Will see if I can get a couple of sets here in the UK! Thanks for the tip. 
    @TheMarlin - I've never tried DR's pure nickel. I tried some of their plated strings a few years ago and totally hated them. Will give the Blues a go!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Can this be true? Pyramid 10s are £3.14 from Thomann and £6.99 from Strings Direct?

Sign me up!
    Yeah, it can be true. I always buy strings from Thomann. Savarez Argentine gypsy strings average about £12 a set here. They used to be £4 from Thomann!
  • LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    I like the 'softer' tone of pure nickel but maybe it is just me but they appear to go dead far quicker
    I agree with this.I find the new expensive designer type of string sets never last that long.The softer played in tone soon deteriorates to mush.So I stay with the cheaper standard sets.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    I tried rotosound pure nickels which I liked but I'd ideally want 10-48 so took them off as I don't like bottom strings too flappy

I've since gone onto rotosound blues 10-52's which I bloody love so far on a les paul, can't see me going back to regular 10's

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)