Wax for Waxpotting - where can I get some?

Want to have a go at waxpotting some pickups, but struggling to find the right answer as to what wax to use and where to get it from..

Help!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Paraffin and beeswax, about 7 to 3 ratio. Do a google for it and I'm sure you'll get good results, or just buy it from ebay.
    Be really careful, it's very easy for it to go up in flames if you do it too hot.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Alegree said:
    Paraffin and beeswax, about 7 to 3 ratio. Do a google for it and I'm sure you'll get good results, or just buy it from ebay.
    Be really careful, it's very easy for it to go up in flames if you do it too hot.
    I bought one of those nail treatment melters for a tenner with a heat control which I think is the safest way to do it. Fits a hum bucker no problem. With a bit of creativity you don't even need to unsolder the pickup from the guitar....
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    The safest way is to send it to a professional (like me).
    The second safest is to take a temperature control and very slowly turn it up until the wax begins to melt.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16679
    Alegree said:
    The safest way is to send it to a professional (like me).
    The second safest is to take a temperature control and very slowly turn it up until the wax begins to melt.

just to add.

whatever homebrew solution you come up with, its worth testing outside  and getting actual temperature readings over a sustained period of time.    once you know it can hold a safe temperature, you are probably safe to bring it inside