New Strymon Flint - powering up issue - normal?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
Just got a brand new Strymon Flint. First thing I notice is that when powering up it doesn't remember that it was previously on and defaults to off. Also, when turning on the power, the two LEDs briefly flash and there's a clicking sound.

I'm using the supplied power supply and have also tried another power supply. Is this normal?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Strymon pedals always make a clicky noise when you power them up - all mine do anyways. 

And im not really sure what the issue is with it powering up as off/bypassed. Why does that matter? 
    How very rock and roll
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited August 2017
    I'd like it to remember its last power state, as all my other pedals do. At the very least, I'd like to know if this is normal for the Flint and, if so, I'll work with it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

That's normal, mine does the same - and annoys me.

Not as much as Wampler pedals do - I have a Pinnacle deluxe V2, remembers perfectly. Sitting next to it the same generation Plexidrive deluxe - which doesn't!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @peteri - I wonder if not remembering the last power state is normal for all Strymon pedals? Must be a pain for people with boards with a few Strymons, especially if mounted under a tiered section.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    My Strymons (Timeline and Big Sky) always power up on.  Really annoys me.  Much rather have them power up off.
    crunchman said:
    My Strymons (Timeline and Big Sky) always power up on.  Really annoys me.  Much rather have them power up off.
    Even if their last state was off?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Philtre said:
    crunchman said:
    Even if their last state was off?
    Yes.

I tend to use delay very much as an effect - not an always on.  Whenever I power them up it is always on.  I think it does remember what bank/patch I had selected though.
    Cripes. Even my £40 Tone City pedal can remember its power state. Come on Strymon, these are not cheap pedals!
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I have three on my board - Timeline, Möbius and Flint. 

Flint is the only one that needs to be turned on 
    I just got an answer from support at Strymon. They say that this is the expected behaviour for the older pedals, such as the Flint. The newer pedals, such as the Sunset and Riverside, do remember the bypass state.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I had this with my Ramble FX Marvel Drive, as I used it in a switching system I had to remember to turn it on each time I powered down and up again. I contacted the company and they sent me a chip to swap inside the pedal so it powered up to on.

I take it Strymon didn't offer a solution other than buy a newer pedal haha?

Maybe you could swap with someone that wants it to power up in the on position?
    photek said:
    I take it Strymon didn't offer a solution other than buy a newer pedal haha?
    Correct. They referred to it as one of "our older smaller units", so I guess no updates.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Philtre said:
    I just got an answer from support at Strymon. They say that this is the expected behaviour for the older pedals, such as the Flint. The newer pedals, such as the Sunset and Riverside, do remember the bypass state.
    Just tested this out for you on my Sunset and can report that it DOES NOT power up as it was configured when powered down.
    How very rock and roll
    Philtre said:
    Just tested this out for you on my Sunset and can report that it DOES NOT power up as it was configured when powered down.
    Interesting.

This is their response:

"This is actually how our older smaller units work; they always boot up in the OFF state, no matter what it was set to when it was shut off. This is different from Sunset and Riverside, which remember the bypass state it was shut off in."

Maybe shoot them an email?