Helix in front of Amp - Clean Sound Problem, do I need an AX8? - SOLVED! :)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Will do - impedance is looking promising - confirmed that the G2 has a 2.2Mohm input impedance, which is pretty high
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks all for your help.

Just spent 30 minutes driving myself mad - comparing straight into amp against straight through Helix.

Playing with the levels, honestly there's a tiny, tiny difference but I can live with it - and it's so tiny it's the road to madness.

Plugging into the G2, no loops engaged, no buffers.

Significantly brighter and with more punch.

So has to be down to the impedance of the G2 relative to the guitar I've been playing recently (68 Telecaster) - it's actually making the signal brighter and maybe a tad louder.

So thanks to all for the great ideas - it's made me love the Helix more, and to be honest put me slightly off the G2, but I'll get over it
  • peteri said:
    Thanks all for your help.

Just spent 30 minutes driving myself mad - comparing straight into amp against straight through Helix.

Playing with the levels, honestly there's a tiny, tiny difference but I can live with it - and it's so tiny it's the road to madness.

Plugging into the G2, no loops engaged, no buffers.

Significantly brighter and with more punch.

So has to be down to the impedance of the G2 relative to the guitar I've been playing recently (68 Telecaster) - it's actually making the signal brighter and maybe a tad louder.

So thanks to all for the great ideas - it's made me love the Helix more, and to be honest put me slightly off the G2, but I'll get over it

If you did want it to sound more like the g2 (it sounds like the g2 has a buffer boost circuit in to help things along) you could try adding a bit of boost or an eq block to the Helix I'd think. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    Presumably turning the reverb off helped a lot as well?

;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Turning the reverb off made it suck badly! ;)

I run the amp near clear and everything else is in front of the amp.

Agreed on making it sound like the G2, I tried Eq etc but couldn't get it quite the same - less bothered now I know it was actually the G2 'cheating'!

Also explains why I prefer the sound of my Tele dirty through the Helix