Poorly AC30

Si_Si_ Frets: 384
Looks like I have a poorly AC30 :(

Was using it tonight and after about 60 minutes of everything rocking and sounding fine I lost 99% of my volume. Tested all the cables and pedals and all were ok so I tried putting it back onto standby and then on again and all was then fixed.. worked again for 20 minutes then the same thing, this happened several times through the night.

I assume it's a failing power valve and I was going to just replace them all, but thought I'd get a 2nd opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Probably not a power valve - if just one goes it doesn't drop the volume that drastically. If one shorts badly it could do, but it would probably do other damage or cook itself permanently. Not impossible though, so if you have spares it may be worth replacing the set and see if it cures it.

Is it a model with a valve rectifier? If so replace that if the power valves don't fix it - particularly as the standby switch stresses it on models which have both. If it isn't, suspect a preamp valve.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Not sure about the rectifier, it's an AC30 CC1 (the 1x12)
    Si_ said:
    Not sure about the rectifier, it's an AC30 CC1 (the 1x12)
    Yes, that has a valve rectifier - and is definitely one with the standby switch in the wrong place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

OK thanks.. I'll start with that and the pre-amps.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
     Next time it looses power, try wiggling the fx loop on/bypass switch on the back panel. Might not be that at all, but they're known to go dodgy and cause signal loss like you described.
    I'll try that thanks..

Typically the rectifier tube is one I don't have a spare of :(

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Cirrus said:
     Next time it looses power, try wiggling the fx loop on/bypass switch on the back panel. Might not be that at all, but they're known to go dodgy and cause signal loss like you described.
    I was just going to suggest the same.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Si_ said:
    I'll try that thanks..

It's probably worth getting a solid-state plug-in replacement as well as a valve, if it does prove to be the rectifier - it will always get you out of trouble and there's never any question of the substitute being faulty as well.

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    the CC amps are notoriously hard on rectifiers, my advice would be to get a JJ GZ34, in my experience they are the most robust of the modern rectifiers.   
    ICBM said:
    Si_ said:
    I'll try that thanks..

It's probably worth getting a solid-state plug-in replacement as well as a valve, if it does prove to be the rectifier - it will always get you out of trouble and there's never any question of the substitute being faulty as well.
    Any idea where I would get the plug in replacement?

Thanks. 

I might get get one of those as a more reliable replacement rather than the tube option. 
    Yellow Jacket Solid State Rectifier ordered.. thanks. 
  • DJH83004 said:
    the CC amps are notoriously hard on rectifiers, my advice would be to get a JJ GZ34, in my experience they are the most robust of the modern rectifiers.   
    I would second that. The JJ brought my AC30CC1 to life.
    Took a little time to get a replacement but I've now fitted a Yellow Jacket Solid State rectifier replacement, hope that helps to fix the issues. Current rectifier valve looks fine visually but I guess that doesn't mean much. 

If not I'll replace the Pre-amp tubes.