PRS SE Custom 24 Trem metal allergy! Advice needed please.

What's Hot
SparkySparky Frets: 90
edited August 2017 in Guitar
I seem to be allergic to the metal in the individual saddles that make up the trem on my SE Custom 24. I'm aware I have a nickel allergy anyway and bizzarely I don't have any problems with strings, but the cheap metal in the saddles doesn't agree with me at all. It's come to light mainly by finding the right position on the guitar to rest my wrist when palm muting/choking the strings and that position is right on top of those cheap metal saddles.

Does anyone have the experience to advise me if I can either get replacement saddles made out of something like stainless steel or if I can replace the trem system entirely? 

Many thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Could you polish the nickel plating off? I think they're brass underneath - the USA ones are, anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SparkySparky Frets: 90
    That's a very good question. I'll take a closer look at them, thanks.
    PRS customer services confirmed that the saddles in the SE's are not necessarily brass underneath. New set of Graphtech direct aftermarket replacements on order with the very pleasant Mr Davey in Wolverhampton who will also give it the once over for a very reasonable price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    @Sparky ; How are you getting on with the graphtech parts?
    Elwood said:
    @Sparky ; How are you getting on with the graphtech parts?
    No complaints at all. They have most definitely cured my allergy issue and they have been stable and kept everything as it should be.

If you're thinking about a set, I say go for it.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited August 2018
    Axesrus do a set of cast stainless steel saddles for around a tenner. I put a set on my PRS Tremonti SE a couple of months ago, not due to an allergy but because I thought the stock ones were crap! They definitely sound better and were a bit of a bargain.