Proud Dad moment!

What's Hot
NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Sitting at home with my 3 year old Daughter last night, she completely unprompted, said to me "Daddy, I want a guitar".

Well, my Princess, you can have a guitar!!

My Wife has horses and she was hoping that the litle'un would follow her in that interest (she probably still will), and trying to brush the comment off said to her, "Isobel, do you want a pony", to which Isobel replied, "No Mummy, I want a guitar like Daddy".

Ive definitely mastered this whole 'Dad' thing. Piece of piss :)

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
2reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Way to go!

I suspect your wife is the one keeping discipline in the house, that's why you're the favourite :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    :) you could be right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Excellent news. Guitars are cheaper than horses .. :-)

Hope you have fun teaching your little girl her first chords.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Cheers. I think it will be a Christmas prezzie. Gives me plenty of time to GAS on her behalf :)
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5167
    edited August 2017
    Wow. Good work dad.

Three is way too young to expect anything serious in terms of playing or commitment IMO from any child that age I've met, and a proper size guitar will dwarf the poor girl. I'm in a similar position with my 5 1/2 year old son, but even at that age a full size guitar- even a solidbody electric- is too big to play comfortably. 

Thinking Ibanez MiKro is the way to go for the boy, but still might be too big for a 3 y/o.

Ukulele? The tuning is basically the same as a guitar, so all the chord shapes you learn are transferrable when you swap to a proper guitar... 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Yeah, im thinking probably something like a mini acoustic to start off with. Im thinking if it holds her interest ill just get her larger guitars as she grows. She is pretty dinky :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    If she's like my two, good luck getting her to practice when she's a bit older!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Excellent. I keep telling the wife that me and the daughter are gonna bully her for the rest of her days. That'll get her back for the spermjackin!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's great isn't it. 
    My 5year old drags ME into guitar shops now! My local has one of these:
    https://d1aeri3ty3izns.cloudfront.net/media/19/193564/1200/preview.jpg

Shes asked me to buy it on several occasions (& I've come SO close... My own hankering for a HH strat has nothing to do with it  ;) )

ive promised her an electric guitar when she can play a couple of tunes on her ukelele. Time will tell on that one, she's currently even more obsessed with my other passion- martial arts, she's Judo mad. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    My lad is 12 and has an Ibby Mikro (better than anything from my youth). He's had a couple of love ins with it but it's an ornament again. I'm biding my time - he's seen the rocker kid at school getting some attention and this caused him to learn the SOTW riff. I had a guitar in the house from when I was very little... it took some mates talking about guitars and seeing Hendrix on telly to give me the shove. Just keep giving them opportunities ;)

How did your dad get you started @Bucket ?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2017
    How did your dad get you started @Bucket ?
    There were always guitars in the house - there's a photo of me at the age of three or four holding his old red 1974 Jazz Bass while wearing a shit-eating grin! D 

He got me into guitar-driven rock music, from which I gradually discovered heavier music which really inspired me. The biggest lightbulb moment I remember was when he showed me Gary Moore.

I've always been a gearhead and I remember just being inspired by reading through guitar books that he had on the bookshelf, full of pictures of 50s and 60s Fenders and Gibsons. I used to draw them when I was about eleven or twelve. I suspect getting Guitar Hero III as a Christmas present helped as well.

One day, when I was 12 years old (IIRC) I asked him if I could borrow a guitar to play, and he lent me his blue Tele and taught me some basic stuff to get me started - a couple of riffs, and some basic chords. I mostly taught myself from then on.

So to answer your question - he got me started with the basics and left me to figure the rest out myself, for which I am actually quite grateful. Subliminally, I suppose the inspiration from him has been there since I was very young indeed.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited August 2017
    Good. Buy her a Hello Kitty Strat. Both mine have one. Neither play yet (2 and 5) but it's a full size guitar so maybe one day. The little Uke they have gets thrown around more.

If they don't play the HK'a are going up on value and are good little guitars to have anyway.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mate my daughter briefly went through that phase, and I've still got a basically new 3/4 acoustic. It's only a relatively cheap one and I think cost me about £80. You're welcome to it if you want me to bring it to the jam? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Great offer thanks, but I think I'm going to start her on something a bit smaller to see how she gets on. Although my Wife and I don't generally consider Isobel as 'disabled' (because she has been determined enough to master most things she's tried), she was born with a deformity of her right arm, which means it is shorter than normal, and has no elbow. She also has only 3 fingers (which was 2 until Great Ormand Street did their magic) on that hand. She does have good movement in her shoulder and wrist, so I'm pretty sure she will be OK. So, long story short, even a 3/4 sized acoustic would be too big for her. Thanks again though, appreciate the thought :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No problem bud. For reference, she would have been the second Isobel (The only correct spelling in my view!) to have owned it :)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I put my 4 kids off guitars for life.