Myles Kennedy's vocals

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Yep, another fan here. He's become a bit OTT on their later albums, but he's got great range and unbelievable power. BRB, going to listen to One Day Remains. 
    He sounds ok on One Day Remains, just something about his current vocals........

Tremonti is awesome though, great riffage.  
    You should check out Tremonti's solo albums. They're like heavier Alter Bridge tracks with Tremonti singing (I quite like his vocals - nothing spectacular but solid nonethless. I also happen to think they compliment Kennedy's vocals well on the Alter Bridge tracks too. Some of the harmonies are winners)
    Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise he had solo albums.  I can already tell I'd like them without Kennedy's vocals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The over produced chipmunk style vocals on recent stuff is really putting me off him, but the early AB stuff is great, along with almost any live stuff I've seen of him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    He's probably one of the most capable rock singers there has ever been and I love his work on the first two AB albums and some of the Slash stuff. However, I agree he's getting a little too raspy in his upper range rather than letting it soar like he used to - I think that is directly coming from the Slash association as that's what he likes from his singers 
    funkyfraz said:
    The over produced chipmunk style vocals on recent stuff is really putting me off him, but the early AB stuff is great, along with almost any live stuff I've seen of him.
    Yeh he's good live...

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Adamski said:
    He's probably one of the most capable rock singers there has ever been and I love his work on the first two AB albums and some of the Slash stuff. However, I agree he's getting a little too raspy in his upper range rather than letting it soar like he used to - I think that is directly coming from the Slash association as that's what he likes from his singers 
    In all fairness he's getting older, maybe he can't sing like he used to
  • I liked his vocals on the first couple of AB albums and the early stuff with Slash, but when I've seen/heard him live, I find his vocals grate on me - very squawky.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Pretty much after I heard Alter Bridge I stopped listening to Creed, because Myles has a wayyyyy better voice than Scott Stapp. 

Myles Kennedy "the voice of rock" ;) 

At least since the '00s anyway. 

However, I can't say I rate his live vocal much in Alter Bridge. 

I really want to get all the rarities/B-Sides/bonus tracks but unfortunately they're bundled with a live album and as far as I've listened to the two songs released on iTunes, the live album sounds like shite. I'll just have to download the tracks I want individually I guess *sigh* 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • His voice has got very nasally with age, perhaps its a technique thing in order to preserve it? I totally agree with the vocals on The Last Hero, Fortress was fine for me though! The ODR and Blackbird era are some of my favourite vocals ever though.

I think his nasally sound suits Slash much better than AB, which tends to be too over produced/engineered.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Best live vocalist I've seen. Although I only saw him on the first two AB tours.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited August 2017
    I think one of the big factors on the later albums is the amount of overdubs/harmonies especially in some of the choruses.  If the singer is really amazing sometimes I prefer just a single vocal track so it's all about the delivery of that one, rather than a bigger stack of harmonies etc.  IIRC One Day Remains doesn't have loads of overdubs... just a personal taste thing.  I do like the band 

His voice has got very nasally with age, perhaps its a technique thing in order to preserve it? I totally agree with the vocals on The Last Hero, Fortress was fine for me though! The ODR and Blackbird era are some of my favourite vocals ever though.

I think his nasally sound suits Slash much better than AB, which tends to be too over produced/engineered.

Axl was a bit nasally, but not as nasally as Miles IMO. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2936
    Axl Rose is the frigging poster child for nasal singing!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    Axl is the poster child for Nazareth.
    Whilst I'm sure Myles can sing, I'm not sure he's ever done anything I'd want to listen. 
    And I've seen a fair few singers  better than Cornell. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    Reverend said:

Steve Perry?

;)

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

Steve Perry?

;)

Dio 
    Geoff Tate
    Todd La Torre
    Halford when in form
    And I went to the 20th anniversary Candlemass gig where the weakest singer by far was Mikael Akerfeldt
  • In prime Geoff Tate was pretty incredible... never seen them live as I'm too young.  But his vocals are the main reason I like the good Queensryche albums
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4962
    Slash has a knack of picking singers I'm not struck on.
    Great guitar playing and then when the singer opens their mouth, I'm off!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Reverend said:
    Axl is the poster child for Nazareth.
    Whilst I'm sure Myles can sing, I'm not sure he's ever done anything I'd want to listen. 

Eddie Vedder live is, for me, the standard that all others should try to achieve, just brilliant. I have to say I've never understood while Myles vocals are so highly rated, when I seen him live (with slash) he seemed to lack power, where as when I seen Axl a few months back he was much better.
  • Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

Steve Perry?

;)

Dio 
    Geoff Tate
    Todd La Torre
    Halford when in form
    And I went to the 20th anniversary Candlemass gig where the weakest singer by far was Mikael Akerfeldt

Speaking of Halford, you ever heard the Judas Priest live album Battle Cry?  Halford has a few blunders on that, even on the first track.  The album was a bit disappointing because of his vocals I though.  He was even better when he sang live with Black Sabbath.

Dio is one of the best singers I've ever heard.  I have never heard a live recording of him singing out of tuning or making fluffs. 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    edited September 2017
    Although I can see what some may think about the tone of his voice but I think he's probably the best/strongest rock singer out there today and definitely that from a live point of view.

Great frontman and guitarist, too