Dialing in a tube amp

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    SimonC said:
    Maybe all amps should be set this way at the factory, then manufacturers could do away with all the pots , simple.
    Didn't Vox do a run of AC30s with no tone knobs but just set to how Brian May likes them to sound? 

I always thought that Matt Schofield style approach wasn't about finding were an amp sounds best but just where it was at it's flattest, rather than assuming everything at noon, from which it is easier to adjust to taste rather than random experimentation on an unfamiliar amplifier.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited August 2017
    I think it's about finding the spots where the frequencies are right on the cusp of shifting, and then controlling it with your playing as best you can.

I've just tried the Schofield method and it seems to me as valid a way of adjusting your amp as any other.  I actually think it works quite well.

But if anyone else thinks it's complete bollocks, then that's cool, too.  One sheep's bollocks is another man's something else.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4176
    edited August 2017
    bodhi said:
    I think it's about finding the spots where the frequencies are right on the cusp of shifting, and then controlling it with your playing as best you can.

I've just tried the Schofield method and it seems to me as valid a way of adjusting your amp as any other.  I actually think it works quite well.

But if anyone else thinks it's complete bollocks, then that's cool, too.  One sheep's bollocks is another man's something else.
    I don't think it's complete bollocks at all, just that it's a danger that people come to accept it as the done thing which, at its extreme, stops experimentation. It sometimes feels as though the Internet is becoming some sort of nanny; it's all very well checking if the toaster you're about to buy is useless but I pride myself on having good tone (compliments from the band are the yardstick here) and it's not something I want YouTube telling me how to do because my tone is *mine*. As a helper, a means to an end, it's good, but as a complete solution, not so much. 

I dunno, I've banged on too much on this one already I think.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Damn. And here's me doing it wrong all these years by just turning the knobs until a noise I like comes out...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Try it. If it works for you, great. If something else works for you, also great.

/thread
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Philtre said:
    Try it. If it works for you, great. If something else works for you, also great.

/thread
    Exactly.

No-one said that adjusting your amp by ear isn't valid, or is "wrong".

Probably best to not discuss tone on a guitar forum, along with politics and religion  ;)
  • Volume = tone.

Also

Speed = emotion.

Works for Yngwie!
  • @timmysoft excellent use of the word flannel mate!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Bass 1
    Mid 2-3
    Treble 7-9

Huge V in a graphic eq after the gain of which there is a huge amount. 

Works for my amp. 

Ymmv  ;)
    You've got a Boogie, haven't you?
  • Bass 1
    Mid 2-3
    Treble 7-9

Huge V in a graphic eq after the gain of which there is a huge amount. 

Works for my amp. 

Ymmv  ;)
    You've got a Boogie, haven't you?
    Soon as I saw Bass 1 that's what I thought 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @guitarfishbay  @richardhomer ;
    good eye, yep it's a studio preamp. 
    So kinda Mark series tone wise. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    It's about EQing to fit the rest of the band as well though, right?  And the room too I guess.  Better to have a good "right" sound than a perfect not-right sound