Searched and found no mention of these - SEVEN new fuzzes from Maxon

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Skarloey;169644" said:
    [quote="Dave_Mc;168263"]I thought there were only four of those old made-up elements :|

No fuzz face?
    There are only four elements in western thought. The Ancient Greeks would be turning in their graves (besides everyone knows they were strictly amp overdrive purists).

That said, Maxon being japanese, their folklore might admit more than four elements. I don't know.

I'll have a tonebender clone. Tonebenders rule.

[/quote]

How's that for coincidence? Just read in a book that in Japanese folklore the "five mystical elements" were earth, air, fire, water and ETHER.

The Maxons have others including void so I guess there may be some bhuddist connection..

So these fuzzes should pair well with a Zen drive ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The ancient Greeks actually had five elements, the four classical elements of fire, earth, air, and water.
    Aristotle added a fifth element, aether, as the quintessence, or fifth essence.

Wind is another manifestation of air.
    Void is another manifestation of aether.
    Void in Japanese Godai, and equates to space in Tibetan Bön.

There is room for another if we include the Chinese Wŭ Xíng, and that is wood.
    Rather than "element" xing translates roughly to "changing states of being".
    Western notion is of different kinds of material, whereas Fire, Earth, Metal, Water and Wood, were understood as different types of energy in a state of constant interaction and flux with one another.

A more twenty first century appropriation of the classical elements could show that they correspond more closely to four of the states of matter: solid, liquid, gas and plasma. 
    We haven't even touched on Quantum mechanics yet !

So there is plenty of room for naming more stomp boxes  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Bucket said:
    Dave_Mc said:

No fuzz face?
    Clearly not... I prefer seeing stuff like the Superfuzz and Bee Baa cloned though, much cooler and hasn't been done much before.

Maybe they'll have a crack at the old Ibanez Standard Fuzz...

seen loads of superfuzz clones :S I think the maxon design of these looks pretty crap and they will be on pcbs no doubt which is a travesty! 
  • Hymnal said:
    Bucket said:
    Dave_Mc said:

No fuzz face?
    Clearly not... I prefer seeing stuff like the Superfuzz and Bee Baa cloned though, much cooler and hasn't been done much before.

Maybe they'll have a crack at the old Ibanez Standard Fuzz...

seen loads of superfuzz clones :S I think the maxon design of these looks pretty crap and they will be on pcbs no doubt which is a travesty! 
    What's wrong with PCB's?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    The ancient Greeks actually had five elements, the four classical elements of fire, earth, air, and water.
    Aristotle added a fifth element, aether, as the quintessence, or fifth essence.

Wind is another manifestation of air.
    Void is another manifestation of aether.
    Void in Japanese Godai, and equates to space in Tibetan Bön.

There is room for another if we include the Chinese Wŭ Xíng, and that is wood.
    Rather than "element" xing translates roughly to "changing states of being".
    Western notion is of different kinds of material, whereas Fire, Earth, Metal, Water and Wood, were understood as different types of energy in a state of constant interaction and flux with one another.

A more twenty first century appropriation of the classical elements could show that they correspond more closely to four of the states of matter: solid, liquid, gas and plasma. 
    We haven't even touched on Quantum mechanics yet !

It's a lot handier when they just call them double entendres.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Bucket said:
    Holy cow! That's awesome!

What is with that thing on top though?! I love the oscillations being controllable, that could make for an awesome breakdown!
    It's a knife-switch so you can flick between settings for the oscillation. In the top position it can be extremely "upfront" and piercing, and in the bottom position it generally sounds a bit less obvious. The tones in the bottom position are slightly darker too. I leave it in the top position mostly. You may have noticed the built-in noise gate too.

Fun fact - if you have oscillation knob all the way to the right (particularly noticeable in the low setting of the switch), you get a perfectly-tracking note an octave below. Really good fun.
    That's awesome, wonder if it's an original circuit or a vintage style rehash?

Definitely need to keep an eye out for one.  That flip switch is pure awesome!

I sold mine last year - on that one the switch was used to power the unit.

I am not sure about the design but that thing is insane if you go for the optional pressure pedal...one million miles away from the 60's fuzzes.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    ChrisMusic;170038" said:
    The ancient Greeks actually had five elements, the four classical elements of fire, earth, air, and water.Aristotle added a fifth element, aether, as the quintessence, or fifth essence.

Wind is another manifestation of air.Void is another manifestation of aether.Void in Japanese Godai, and equates to space in Tibetan Bön.

There is room for another if we include the Chinese Wŭ Xíng, and that is wood.Rather than "element" xing translates roughly to "changing states of being".Western notion is of different kinds of material, whereas Fire, Earth, Metal, Water and Wood, were understood as different types of energy in a state of constant interaction and flux with one another.

A more twenty first century appropriation of the classical elements could show that they correspond more closely to four of the states of matter: solid, liquid, gas and plasma. We haven't even touched on Quantum mechanics yet !

What we need then is the "Parallel Universe", a pedal that, when you play through it in Britain, the sound comes out of an amp in Japan.

We could have the "Black Hole" too, a pedal that not only sucks your tone but sucks in your signal and produces no sound the other end.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Forge said:

I sold mine last year - on that one the switch was used to power the unit.

I am not sure about the design but that thing is insane if you go for the optional pressure pedal...one million miles away from the 60's fuzzes.

Was that the full-size Dr Freakenstein? Mine is the "mini" version, which I think I actually prefer the design of - it's streamlined and has fewer features to mess around with, but sounds much the same and is still really versatile.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."