The Helix VS Fractal FX8 Thread

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• Due to the dirtiness of the delays? Why do you prefer them?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Due to the dirtiness of the delays? Why do you prefer them?
    Well dirtiness is part of it. But when I switch models on any of these pedals, I truly feel like the delay engine is different and unique to the others. They sound different right off the bat, and the differences are not subtle! Then you can tweak one or two parameters and you get variations on the core tone. But tapes and analog delays on the Timeline, Nemesis, and DD500... they just don't and will never sound alike.

With the FX8 this isn't true. Every single mode sounds very similar to the last right off the bat, with some minor EQ filtering on the output. The modulation characteristics don't seem to really change across engines, and it sounds and feels like I am basically tweaking the exact same engine regardless of which mode I choose. 

Basically the FX8 lacks character to me.
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Due to the dirtiness of the delays? Why do you prefer them?
    Well dirtiness is part of it. But when I switch models on any of these pedals, I truly feel like the delay engine is different and unique to the others. They sound different right off the bat, and the differences are not subtle! Then you can tweak one or two parameters and you get variations on the core tone. But tapes and analog delays on the Timeline, Nemesis, and DD500... they just don't and will never sound alike.

With the FX8 this isn't true. Every single mode sounds very similar to the last right off the bat, with some minor EQ filtering on the output. The modulation characteristics don't seem to really change across engines, and it sounds and feels like I am basically tweaking the exact same engine regardless of which mode I choose. 

Basically the FX8 lacks character to me.
    Being a massive delay user for years, I don't disagree with you. The Axe FX delays are kind of samey across the board, but I can hear the subtle differences. Just so happens that those subtleties are just enough for me. In recent years, I use little more than digital delay, and for that the Axe is perfect. The little I use of analog and tape is enough for my needs. Sounds great.

I think the only thing I really miss, at a push is my old El Capistan, but if I tried hard enough, I'd get sort of close (not close enough really). But El Caps are never going to be rare, so buying one is always an option if I really felt the need. Sorry, procrastinating a little there.

Bottom line is you've found something that you can now rule out and have little GAS for in future, and that's almost as important as finding something that's perfect for you! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • @Drew_TNBD  do you run stereo? 
    If so are you panning anything in the stereo field? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    @Drew_TNBD  do you run stereo? 
    I don't run in stereo no.
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    @Drew_TNBD  do you run stereo? 
    I don't run in stereo no.
    Fair enough. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.