westone rainbow ll £800/ £900 s/h ?????

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
coda music s/h section have 2 of these used,1 £800 1×£900 
thought these were £250/£300 max should value ,for £150 more you could get a yamaha sa2200 off this forum ,or am I missing something ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    They're very nice - far more than a £250-£300 guitar, although I agree they're not quite in the same league as a SA2200. I don't think £800 is really too much of a stretch if it's in excellent condition, although I'm fairly sure the last one I saw sold at £599.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Initially through guitarist magazine adverts and later through the website and generally getting to know Doug a bit, in almost 30 years I've never known Doug to wrongly price anything.
    Ever.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    Ridiculous price tbh, they should never go for more than £400 at a push, they are heavy unresponsive old boxes and really don't deserve the reputation they have garnered
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Natural one looks nice.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Alnico said:
    Initially through guitarist magazine adverts and later through the website and generally getting to know Doug a bit, in almost 30 years I've never known Doug to wrongly price anything.
    Ever.

Not knocking Doug as hs probably forgot more than i know but theres always a first time !
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Both Been up for sale for 3 weeks
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    £900?
    That's ridiculous, make it £875 and we'll talk.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    ICBM said:
    They're very nice - far more than a £250-£300 guitar, although I agree they're not quite in the same league as a SA2200. I don't think £800 is really too much of a stretch if it's in excellent condition, although I'm fairly sure the last one I saw sold at £599.
    So you're saying they haven't Bungled the price on this Rainbow guitar?  By George that's good to know, and anyone wanting to snap one up will need to be pretty Zippy to close a deal before any old Rod Jane or Freddy get their hands on them.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Last Rainbow 1 I saw on eBay went for just over £400, IIRC?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

edited August 2017

Just checked - £430, in fact.

Or you could have bought one for £350, £500 (#1), £500 (#2) or £599 on Gumtree...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843

Or you could have bought one for £350, £500 (#1), £500 (#2) or £599 on Gumtree...
    Bet you wish you'd jumped in while they were still cheap....
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5291
    mark123 said:
    Alnico said:
    Ever.

what a load of bollocks that statement is :) were you checking everyone

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I've got a right soft spot for westones, but some of the prices being asked these days.... =)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited August 2017
    Westone didn't have the Presitge of other Japanese brands. Even the Pantera with the Kahler or Floyd on was under £400 in the late 80's. I almost bought one in 87

Doug's wrong on this one I think. I'd stick with a Yamaha SA or a Ibanez AM/AS
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    mgaw said:
    mark123 said:
    Alnico said:
    Ever.

what a load of bollocks that statement is :) were you checking everyone

It wasn't meant as a load of bollocks, sorry about that.
    I did kind of mean that I'd always checked prices in different shops but I think I know what you mean and no, I wasn't checking everyone all the time.
    Poor choice of words on my part.
    Probably should have been closer to........

"In all the time I've known of Coda they've always had some of the best prices in the market, from what I've seen."

Sorry.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3235
    edited August 2017
    Still can't get over that these were 'the piece of shit guitars' that we had knocking around at school, the ones that as a kid you could pick up for 50 quid. Crazy stuff, wherever they were made, however tough they were, or may still be. This will cause upset but they sounded like shit then and I doubt they are much better now. The 'vintage' fad has become a farce imo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Bet you wish you'd jumped in while they were still cheap....
    Never liked them!

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I often wondered if they were made in the same factory as the early Aria  TA's?
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Still can't get over that these were 'the piece of shit guitars' that we had knocking around at school, the ones that as a kid you could pick up for 50 quid. Crazy stuff, wherever they were made, however tough they were, or may still be. This will cause upset but they sounded like shit then and I doubt they are much better now. The 'vintage' fad has become a farce imo.
    That's a bit harsh IMHO. I had a Westone Thunder 2a Bass and it was the mutts with decent wood good build quality and a thru neck. My brother had a  2a guitar and that was good also.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I don't think that's true. There were plenty of them and they weren't too expensive, but they were well-made, played well and sounded good. I seem to remember them being quite highly regarded. 

This isn't just me bigging them up coz I've got a Rainbow either! ;)