Wudtone finish

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    daveyh said:
    I had the advice from Wudtone to mix the colour with the clear topcoat so the black sits on top of the wood, making it more opaque. 

Darkened it a little, but still nowhere near the translucent black I was after. Wudtone's repeated 'I think it looks awesome' really didn't help.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hdPjv

It's a cool finish if that's your thing but it's not black, I think you have a point being unhappy if black is what you wanted 

Never bought in to the wudtone kits, party because Andy was instantly dislikeable and partly because they seemed to be a hard way to get a below average finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a bit late now, but for deep blacks ink works well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyh said:
    I'm definitely thinking it looks good, just not what I was after! I want to exhaust the possibilities of blackening it more first

Ask Andy to send you another bottle, which I'm sure he'll do, and then use the dappling/dabbing technique. It will go on thicker and more solid that way, but the downside is that you will not have a flat finish, but rather an orange peel type effect. If you can live with that then give it a try.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    edited September 2017
    I did speak to him about it, bought a new bottle of the black colour to add to the clear topcoat. Made hardly any difference.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    edited September 2017
    My issues with the black notwithstanding, that amber looks amazing 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    daveyh said:
    My issues with the black notwithstanding, that amber looks amazing 
    Here's the finished guitar

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    edited September 2017
    daveyh said:
    I did speak to him about it, bought a new bottle of the black colour to add to the clear topcoat. Made hardly any difference.
    You must dab it very thickly. Rubbing it in doesn't work for solid colours. You will get a more solid finish by slapping it on, but the downside is the orange peel effect. I don't like the look of it, but you might.
  • @Jez6345789 Where do you get your Osmo from?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Screwfix
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • @Jez6345789 Where do you get your Osmo from?
    I get mine from Wood Finishes Direct.  They sell the small 125ml tins (Screwfix min is 750ml) which is plenty for a guitar or bass and is cheap enough to try two or three of the wide range of finishes to get the one that's just right for you.