Who's never played to an audience?

What's Hot
underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
Got thinking earlier, I'm almost 40 and I've been playing guitar since I was about 15 or so, but I've never played to an actual audience. 

I have some great gear these days and I can bash out a tune but I know I'm never going to be in a band or play to anyone. I get self conscious if I know my wife is listening to me play 

So am I one of the few or one of the many?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5180
    Do the Kids count?
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Yep, it sometimes happened when on tour. Absolutely no audience involved whatsoever. Some of my favourite gigs involved no audience. It combined having a good time, free bar and being able to hear what you're doing, without that overwhelming sense of disappointing people who might have paid good money for the ordeal of my shonky singing and my equally shonky bandmates.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh wait... misunderstood.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    I don't know that I'd grace them with the word 'audience'.
    Bunch of unappreciative, foul mouthed zombies is nearer the mark.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I've done a few gigs where you could count the audience members on one hand. I'm pretty sure I did a big uni gig to one person once.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    Yep, shyness is the major factor for me. Being insular is shit, I do honestly need to make the effort to play with like minded individuals.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I'd never played to an audience (except to my wife) until earlier this year when I started attending an acoustic night in a local pub. Basically it's a group of like minded guitarists each taking in turns to play something and the others joining in if they feel like it. It's better than it sounds on paper and has done wonders for my confidence although I wouldn't be confident to play solo to an audience!

When we have visitors I'm reluctant to show them my music room because as soon as they see my collection of guitars they say "Oh give us a tune", to which I politely decline!

I've been playing since I was about 20 and I'm 52 now, so no don't worry, you're not the only one. ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Tone71 said:
    Yep, shyness is the major factor for me. Being insular is shit, I do honestly need to make the effort to play with like minded individuals.

I know that feeling, I've never played with another guitarist/keyboard player/drummer either
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    Im 42 and have never properly played in front of an audience. Im not counting the comedy revue band when a student though... Hopefully that will change as a few of us at work are trying to get some nearly regular but infrequent practices. But i too struggle to play in front of family and friends... Very few people enjoy a basic chord progression with no lyrics - my vocal ability makes Dylan sound like Pavarotti!
    Still enjoy it though :)
    I used to suffer from terrible stage-fright. The thought of playing in front of other people used to almost make me throw up but once you're 10 seconds into the first song, you just forget about it and concentrate on what you're playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    underdog said:
    Got thinking earlier, I'm almost 40 and I've been playing guitar since I was about 15 or so, but I've never played to an actual audience. 

I have some great gear these days and I can bash out a tune but I know I'm never going to be in a band or play to anyone. I get self conscious if I know my wife is listening to me play 

So am I one of the few or one of the many?
    Same. Hate playing in front of anyone unless I'm drunk.
    I've sometimes found that ten seconds into a set I've forgotten everything and instead I'm concentrating on deciding which member if the audience I'm going to throw up on.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33842
    Go out and do it chaps.

It is hard, and you only ever play at 70% of your non-gigging ability (which is why you have to level up) but it is the best thing about playing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    camf said:
    I've sometimes found that ten seconds into a set I've forgotten everything and instead I'm concentrating on deciding which member if the audience I'm going to throw up on.
    Ten seconds into a set I'm deciding which audience member is coming home with me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Sassafras ; That definitely happens.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    It's never too late. There's already a few on here which is the start of a band....... Maybe some of you could get together and bang through a few tunes at a local pub. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I always encourage my learners to go play in front of people, whether its 10 or 1000 there's no greater feeling than performing. It'll do wonders for your confidence and believe it or not they want to see you playing well too. I used to forget this in my younger years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camf said:
    I did a gig once where a guy threw up on the bar whilst we were playing...I was rather insulted. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited August 2017
    I last gigged regularly 30 years ago - and did my last gig 22 years ago.

I'm going to see a friend's band play tomorrow night - if I got asked up to play a song or two, it wouldn't be the worst thing....
  • I played guitar in one band and drums in another for a couple of years from about 18-22, nothing in a few years though. I think I preffered playing drums in front of an audience, the kit provided some sort of barrier in my mind, whilst the other guys had more eyes on them.