Ever bought a turkey that turned into awesomeness??

What's Hot
Have you ever bought something, regretted it, left it for months or years and then discovered  hidden gem like attributes?

I bought a KORG Pandora stomp secondhand and fairly quickly realised that it was just another doorstop amongst many. I put it back in its box and left it for over a year. In a moment of boredom, I bust it out of its box, with a view to selling  it, factory reset  it so it would be all nice and new for a new owner, plugged in and....fuck me......wow! What a little power house of tonal goodness!

All that was wrong was that the previous owner had messed up the settings.

Has this happened to anyone else where something in your taste has shifted and  something that was shite is now truly awesome?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I've got a Behringer V-Aamp 2, and recently while amp-less I decided to plug it and give it a go for old times' sake.

Wow, I was figuratively blown awa..............

..........nope, it was still a bit shit, sorry.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    No, but I've bought no end of awesomenesses that turned out to be turkeys.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9571
    No, but I've bought no end of awesomenesses that turned out to be turkeys.
    Brilliant, and sadly, so true...
  • No, but I've bought no end of awesomenesses that turned out to be turkeys.
    This is true of me... if I go into a purchase 'I am going to love this it's all I ever wanted it's the best thing ever' I soon go off it. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24831
    Naim Atom streamer. Sounded like shit straight out of the box - but a month on its sounding really good....
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Christmas dinner '96.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    octatonic said:
    Christmas dinner '96.
    ya beat me to it!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72448
    Leem KA-1210 Professional Multiple Amplifier

It's like a cross between an acoustic amp and a mini PA in a combo, really - I paid £40 for it from a shop I worked for that was closing down, thinking it was junk and I would just sell it for a small profit… but more than ten years later I still have it, and it's one of my most useful and used pieces of gear.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    It's boo'iful.
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    I bought a guitar from eBay where the pictures were taken in the dark, you could just make out something vaguely strat shaped and the description was 'eletic guitar'.

It arrived (late) and after a bit of industrial cleaning to the same level you would typically go to when scrubbing a murder scene of any possible evidence...it's great! Just a basic Strat copy but best £32 (delivered) I've spent on eBay.
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    ICBM said:
    Leem KA-1210 Professional Multiple Amplifier

It's like a cross between an acoustic amp and a mini PA in a combo, really - I paid £40 for it from a shop I worked for that was closing down, thinking it was junk and I would just sell it for a small profit… but more than ten years later I still have it, and it's one of my most useful and used pieces of gear.
    Used to use one of those as an electric drum monitor. Fabulously useful!