eBay storm in a teacup

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I need a tele top hat switch. Bought one on eBay, the picture looked OK. The one that was sent was garbage, with deep indent/holes on both sides. 

I messaged him back saying that is was very poor and didn't match his picture.

He said OK, send it back and I'll put it down as a refund because you no longer want the item.

On principIe, I said, no, it's not that I don't want it, it is very poor quality and doesn't match the picture.

He said yes it does match the picture

I sent him a link to a picture of it. I said that I wasn't bothered about a refund (it was only about £2 inc postage!). 

he ignored my link and asked me to send a picture, although provided no email address. Also adding: Please be aware a genuine Fender parts sell for £11.15 plus postage. This may explain your confusion.

I'm not bloody confused!!! your picture doesn't represent the crap you are selling!!!! I'm not one for giving a trader negative feedback over a very cheap item, but this guy is pretty annoying. 

Anyone got a decent Top hat switch that they want to sell????

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    Paypal claim? 'Not as described'. I'd do it purely based on the sellers attitude.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    I have 2 types - both fit OAK/CRL switches.
    Generic with regular slot fitting
    http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_24&products_id=63
    Allparts with the fancy vintage style slot
    http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_24&products_id=198
    Generic is very slightly taller than the Allparts.
    When you say the one you received had deep intents/holes, were they part of the molding or damage?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    Paypal claim? 'Not as described'. I'd do it purely based on the sellers attitude.
    +1

Paypal claim for not as described, and leave negative feedback. It's more for the attitude than the product.

Sometimes the fact that Ebay has given the buyer all the power now is actually useful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    When you say the one you received had deep intents/holes, were they part of the molding or damage?
    This is the pic I showed him. the 'hole' in the second pic goes at least to the middle! Not damaged, it appears to have been made this way with zero quality control.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I'd send that to a luthier and have him fill it and refinish it.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    That is taking the piss! Paypal claim.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    Yep - do the claim.
    He's finally agreed to send another. 

The irony of the situation is that I ordered the wrong one! the slot is too small ...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    axisus said:

The irony of the situation is that I ordered the wrong one! the slot is too small …
    lol

You can actually fix this quite easily, and also make it almost proof against coming off - heat the switch lever with a soldering iron and push the cap down onto it. Make sure the switch doesn't get too hot...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    axisus said:

The irony of the situation is that I ordered the wrong one! the slot is too small …
    lol

You can actually fix this quite easily, and also make it almost proof against coming off - heat the switch lever with a soldering iron and push the cap down onto it. Make sure the switch doesn't get too hot...

Yes that was exactly my plan assuming that the replacement is any good!
    axisus said:

The irony of the situation is that I ordered the wrong one! the slot is too small ...
    Nothing forthcoming thus far. I'll give it one more week then I'm gonna leave bad feedback. I'll teach him for stiffing me to the tune of £1.90!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom