The most incredible bass lines you may ever hear

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Some of you may remember when I posted this tune from Vulfpeck:

A truly remarkable bass part, and one that instantly made me a fan of this awesome band. But as I have discovered since, Dean Town is only the tip of the iceberg. Listen to these:

I mean... seriously. What a ridiculous bass player the guy is. Up there in my top two favourite bassists (the other being Random Jon Poole of the Wildhearts/The Dowling Poole etc). I love his tone, his groove is ridiculous and his chops are nothing short of miraculous. And I love his sense of melody as well - he's very cool and inventive, and his lines really serve the song. Speaking of which, this band also write great songs - they're so catchy. Check these out.

So yeah. You've got to love them, haven't you?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A truly great bass player. His style brings to mind Rocco Prestia, another great.
    It's not a competition.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    A truly great bass player. His style brings to mind Rocco Prestia, another great.
    I thought the same - I reckon Joe might be even better though.
  • Great player
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7796
     Dean Town eh?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bucket I love this band too - I posed about Vulfpeck in a few other threads. 

I haven't seen em live but would like to. F*nky as F*ck. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Vulfpeck do some great 'show us your sex face' poses  :) 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • A seriously tasty piece of bass playing that : >

Here's a young girl making it look like child's play :

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    I'll just end this thread here.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4992
    I feel that any musician, however talented, is only as good as how he fits into a band situation.  Lets be honest here, the bass is not a real lead instrument.  Not by a long way.  It is more important than that.  Together with the drummer, the bass provides the foundation of the bands music.  Leaving the lead playing to others and making them sound good.  That is what a good bass player does.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    Lets be honest here, the bass is not a real lead instrument.  Not by a long way. 
    Says who?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4992
    Bucket said:
    Rocker said:
    Lets be honest here, the bass is not a real lead instrument.  Not by a long way. 
    Says who?

Well me for one FWTIW. If you play in a band you will understand my point. The simple truth is that it is the lead vocalist that is the 'band' as far as the average punter sees it. The band are there to support the vocalist. Lead instruments like guitar, sax, piano etc are there to enhance the performance of the vocalist. Bass and drums provide the foundation for the song. From the vocalists perspective, the foundation is the most important element in the sound. Bass solos and drum solos are (or were) included to allow the other band members get a drink at the bar. Or go for a pee. Or both.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    What a tremendously narrow-minded and defeatist way of looking at music.

There are so many sounds in a bass guitar, and so many ways of approaching the instrument, that to actively discourage having the ambition to explore them and become a better musician is just idiotic. I hope you don't teach.

If you have chosen bass as your instrument, why should you not be encouraged to explore everything it can do? The musicians I respect and admire are those who aspire to push boundaries and do things that are out of the ordinary, not small-minded people like you who think every instrument should know its place and stay there at all costs. Your attitude towards this is not how music should be approached.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Good job I have a strong bladder and can cope when the other band members need a piss then.

Sheesh.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    They were all very good bassists, but Jaco gets my vote all day long.

• Rocker said:
    I feel that any musician, however talented, is only as good as how he fits into a band situation.  Lets be honest here, the bass is not a real lead instrument.  Not by a long way.  It is more important than that.  Together with the drummer, the bass provides the foundation of the bands music.  Leaving the lead playing to others and making them sound good.  That is what a good bass player does.
    I'm not sure what you are saying is particularly relevant to this thread. Did you listen to the first video? If so, then all the bass player is doing is holding down the groove, apart from its prominence in the mix I don't see how you can describe this as "lead" playing.

Sounding good as a collective is surely the most important aspect of group playing irrespective of musical instrument choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • proggy said:
    They were all very good bassists, but Jaco gets my vote all day long.

Yup!  His bassline on the Dryclean From Des Moines is out of this world.