I'm not sure what's come over me.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Chalky said:
    What's wrong with walking into a room and having lots of guitars to choose from?  You make it sound like a bad thing!
    Because I only ever choose from two or three of them, the others could be better used by someone else and I need the money for more gear.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I have more guitars than you, but I only play one. Since I built my own it is king of the castle. I really should get rid of all the rest, but it's tough parting with stuff. My Feline Lion is a brilliant guitar but it literally hasn't been out of the case for over a year. I'm actively avoiding it now, psyching myself up to potentially part with it.

There are two problems to having lots of instruments 1) they take up lots of space 2) they tie up what could be spare cash. Neither of these things are too much trouble when you are fairly young, but once you are married with 4 kids, a mortgage, 2 cars etc suddenly you find there's no space in the house, the Mrs gets pissed off with instruments everywhere, and you can't afford that stomp box unless the kids go without food for a few days.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    @bucket - you're a real gent for offering me dibs on the Raygun. I think, however, if you were to decide to let it go, I'd have to pass. Partly because my own Raygun is my current fave, even if it's not quite as fab as yours (due to the donor guitar being a cheapy). I'm also experiencing similar misgivings about my own collection. Reaching saturation point and all...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72368
    Bucket said:

I could never sell the V.

The three that I am definitely keeping, which will not change, are the BM, the Strat and the V.
    … which sounds like you've made your mind up. Keep those three and the acoustic, sell the rest. Ask your parents first, but if you're putting the Jazzmaster towards a Kemper, I'm sure they will understand.

It's better than what I did with my 18th birthday guitar, anyway - I kept it. But that meant that I modified it beyond the point of recovery. I eventually got rid of the remains, and recently managed to find another of the (very rare) model to replace it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited August 2017
    I've just got rid of my 18th birthday amp and couldn't be happier with what I've replaced it with. My dad doesn't mind either, he's happy I now have something I love using that I can get the most out of (ie I can actually turn it up to its sweet spot).
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27020
    FWIW my "18th-guitar" was my Paisley Tele. It'll be 15 years this December. I've modded it (and un-modded it) a few times and it's not my absolute favourite, but I'm very glad I still have it. I'm not saying you must keep it, but do consider you might miss it later, having sold for only a couple of hundred quid.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2017
    Less is more!! 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    @thomasross20 ;

There are reasons for keeping the Jazzmaster anyway - I do love the sound, and it's a nice thing to have, but at the very least I think it would need a full set-up. I'm going to see my parents today, so I'm going to bring it back there and leave it, so at the very least it's not taking up space here and I can go back to get it if I miss it.

The other one I'm less enamoured with selling is actually the 30-fret Ibanez. It's a cool guitar, and I have long had plans to modify it and make it truly badass... but at the end of the day, it's just a cheap Ibanez and would I really miss it? It's quite a rare model though.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You need  a bigger room!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• @Bucket haha - always loved that vid :)

I'd defo downsize. It feels good for the soul. More time on music and less time swapping between guitars :)