Wilkinson bridge on Yamaha Pacifica 611vfm - need help re setting to 'float' properly

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
edited August 2017 in Guitar
Hi guys - the bridge on my 611 isn't set right for full floating - it 'dips' OK but there's no 'pull-up' range - it's too flatly set.  Does anyone have any experience of these bridges and can guide me to set up so that it floats properly & of course returns to pitch properly, whilst retaining the low action I have?  I've looked on you-tube for a vid but can't find one for this type of bridge.

611 bridge photo IMG_20170514_245316478_zpshp7xaaxcjpg

This is how it was.....

Trem on 611 photo IMG_20170514_243827052_zpsynnjtbhujpg

but since lowering the action and intonating it, the back-end has no play anymore ..I haven't yet touched the claws at the back btw

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/voxman5/IMG_20170828_114748596_zpsjfsphs4g.jpg

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Do you wish your vibrato to float like a VS100 two-point type or tilt up like a Fender six screw fulcrum type?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited August 2017
    Do you wish your vibrato to float like a VS100 two-point type or tilt up like a Fender six screw fulcrum type?
    Sorry for being dumb here, but I'm not sure I understand the difference? I'd like to be able to both push down and pull-up the vibrato arm - at the moment I can't do the latter.  I need to get it back to the middle photo position but without affecting the action. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Slacken the spring tension then lower the saddles.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840

If you can't lower the saddles sufficient to restore low action then a shim in the neck pocket would be required.
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158

This is the next move I would make, judging from those pics.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    It looks like you have the six pivot screws too tight.

First, slacken the strings a fair bit. The bridge should rest flat on the top of the body. If it doesn't, raise the pivot screws by about a full turn each.

Then lower them all until they *just* hold the bridge down flat and don't try to lift the back edge of it - it's easiest to do the two outer ones first, then the middle four. Some people prefer to leave the middle ones raised, but it actually makes no difference and in my opinion it's better to do them all 'right'.

If the springs are in a 'fan' shape, put them straight.

When you tune back up to pitch, then adjust the claw screws so the bridge floats about 2-3mm above the body at the back. There should now be a *tiny* (paper thin) gap between the 'angle' on the bottom of the bridge and the body - contrary to some things you may read online, the bridge does *not* pivot on this point, and if it does then it will cause major friction and tuning issues.

If you need to adjust any of the individual saddle heights - it doesn't look like you do, although the Es could possibly go down a bit - if you're going to raise them, it's absolutely essential to release the big cap-screw in the middle first, or you'll probably snap its thread. It's easiest to lower the saddle with its two height screws about one turn first, then loosen the big one, then raise the saddle. If you're lowering the saddle, do that first then tighten the cap-screw. Likewise, if you're adjusting the intonation, you must loosen this screw first.

Good luck!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    I'm not sure I understand the difference?
    Your vibrato operates like a traditional Fender fulcrum type that happens to have the Wilkinson lockable saddles.

Two-point vibrato bridges are designed to pivot about two knife edges, guided by notches engineered into the two studs. The baseplate is intended to rest parallel to the top of the guitar.
    Thanks guys - @ICBM - what will be the impact on the action by doing this? 
    Voxman said:
    Thanks guys - @ICBM - what will be the impact on the action by doing this? 
    Whatever you want it to be. Loosening the pivot screws might make it go up *very* slightly, but you can always lower the individual saddles by more than that - there's plenty of room under them. On a 2-post bridge it's normal to set them with the two Es almost flat to the plate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Voxman said:
    I'm not sure I understand the difference?
    Your vibrato operates like a traditional Fender fulcrum type that happens to have the Wilkinson lockable saddles.

Two-point vibrato bridges are designed to pivot about two knife edges, guided by notches engineered into the two studs. The baseplate is intended to rest parallel to the top of the guitar.
    But surely if the bridge baseplate is flat, you have no 'upward' vibrato movement. I have a 2-point Strat and adjusted it in line with this video (the 6 screw bridge on the 611 is different, so I can't use that vid for it):

Apart from releasing the locking screw, is the process here (for a 6 screw Strat) the same as the 611 bridge for getting a fully floating bridge?
    It's not a 2-post - it's like a vintage 6-screw. The bridge needs to sit up at a slight angle, with the back edge above the body. Wilkinson do make 2-post bridges as well.

ICBM said:
    It's not a 2-post - it's like a vintage 6-screw. The bridge needs to sit up at a slight angle, with the back edge above the body. Wilkinson do make 2-post bridges as well.
    I appreciate that - the vid I posted was for my 2-post Strat - but I was just trying to clarify if a 6 screw vintage Strat trem set up vid would be the same process for the 611?
    Voxman said:

I appreciate that - the vid I posted was for my 2-post Strat - but I was just trying to clarify if a 6 screw vintage Strat trem set up vid would be the same process for the 611?
    Assuming the video is right, yes :).

Must admit I gave up with that one when he got to the bits of coloured paper… after earlier stabbing the fingerboard with a Vernier caliper while measuring from the wrong side of the string. He's making it much too complicated.