1974 fender strat (Ebay ) is it genuine?

What's Hot
finest1finest1 Frets: 94
hi all

saw this the other day. unfortunately seller is not a guitar player. seller claims he got it from the possessions of a dead relative

what do you think?

http://http//www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-fender-stratocaster-1974/182733815805?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    Yes, that is genuine.

It looks like two bridge saddles have been changed, but otherwise - as far as can be seen in such low-res photos - all original.

Your link doesn't appear to work by the way - this should… http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-fender-stratocaster-1974-/182733815805?hash=item2a8bc8bffd:g:picAAOSwtytZoUKI

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    3-screw adjustable neck plate, big headstock, bullet truss-rod adjuster - looks about right.
    Beware of the "ware and tare" though...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    The old "dead relative" story actually produces a non-fake guitar.  :o
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    He knows nothing about guitars and yet he calls himself robbie48robertson.
    Well, I suppose he doesn't have to be THE Robbie Robertson.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    The heavy unfaded red in the burst is very like a 74 Tele I used to own, for what it's worth...
    It is definitely right as far as I can see, even with those pics. There's not one single part of it which looks wrong (other than the two bridge saddles - and even those could be a trick of the photo lighting). If you could fake a 70s Strat this well - which is actually harder than a 60s one in some ways - you'd do a 50s or 60s one and make five to ten times the money.

The stuff in the case is also right, and rare. It would be unusual for that to be put with a fake.

The only remaining question is whether he actually has the guitar or could have nicked the pics from somewhere else, but his feedback is pretty good. That said, he claims to know nothing about guitars and yet has sold two pedals in the last year.

He's in Glasgow, maybe I should get someone I know to ask if they can go and see it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Looking at the larger pictures, I think the saddles may be a lighting artifact.

I did have a large headstock Strat at one point, but I don't recall the split-post tuners. (Not saying they're wrong, just I don't recall them.)

But, as ICBM says, this doesn't smell of fake.

I wonder what the owners' manual says - "Plug it in and play it!"?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    prowla said:
    Looking at the larger pictures, I think the saddles may be a lighting artifact.

I did have a large headstock Strat at one point, but I don't recall the split-post tuners. (Not saying they're wrong, just I don't recall them.)

But, as ICBM says, this doesn't smell of fake.

F stamped tuners are definitely split post
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    prowla said:

Probably extensive advice on manual lifting..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How much are these worth. 
  • How much are these worth. 
    It looks great condition. I paid £950 for 71 that had been routed and changed pickups. I also paid a grand for 77 in better condition, so a 74 in good original condition, maybe £1500? 
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Says he'll ship overseas at buyers cost.  He's gonna have loads of fun with bids no doubt "Can you ship to Pyongyang and I will pay when received?????" 
    Arktik83 said:
    Says he'll ship overseas at buyers cost.  He's gonna have loads of fun with bids no doubt "Can you ship to Pyongyang and I will pay when received?????" 
    At least it's not rosewood!
    In that condition and apparent originality, with the case and the other stuff, I would not be at all surprised to see it go for more than £2K.

It also may well be a good guitar, even with the alloy bridge and block saddles. Some of this age are quite nice, they didn't start to become the armour-plated boat-anchors typical of the late 70s until a year or two after this one - you can tell that the finish is relatively thin, and the contouring isn't too bad - the back scoop at least is reasonably deep even though the arm cut is a bit of a token effort.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    That is a nice Strat. Someone's gonna get a lovely investment out of it.
    If it's even remotely like my 74 Precision then it will be a corker
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    It'll probably be shorter and lighter - but have more strings....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It'll probably be shorter and lighter - but have more strings....
    I don't count shorter, lighter and more strings as enough similarity for my exacting tastes. 

I expect terms such as "loved, knackered, well played, abused" and possibly "hefty"

Oh, and definitely no poker chip or lester
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    Just had a peek, it looks in lovely condition for the year.

Be interested to see how much it goes for.