Latest Ibanez neck profiles

Hey guys, I recently joined this board and wanted to ask the people's opinion on the latest Ibanez necks. I live in southern California and fortunate enough to be so close to so many guitars shops. Because of that, I've got to play a lot of different Ibanez models: Wizard Prestige, Nitro Wizard, Wizard III, the new Premium shape (RG1070PBZ and RG6PCMLTD), Jem Premium necks and so forth.

Being on a budget like most people, my gear budget was recently cut down so I was looking for Prestige alternatives. I've been playing Ibanez guitars for over 20 years and very particular about the neck shape. Obviously the Prestige necks are the best in my opinion and here's what I've noticed about the other neck shapes (at least here in the USA).

Wizard III: The Wizard III profiles are quite comfortable and probably my favorite next to the Super Prestige necks. The only problem is that they're inconsistent in shape. The Wizard Prestige shape's pretty much the same everywhere but I've noticed the Wizard III is all over the place. Some have the perfect oval 'C' shape while other's have a chunkier bass side. You can definitely tell the difference between the RG necks and the S necks. I played two exact S670QM models at a store (both new with different colors) and both had completely different shapes.

JemJr Wizard III: Surprisingly, the JemJr's Wizard III has been the most consistent. I'd say of the 10 or so i've played, only one had a thick, chunkier bass side but it was still playable.

Jem Premium necks: Depending on the model, it's like the Premium neck but feels thicker on the bass side. The JEM77P BFP is like that. The JEM70V SFG on the other hand feels a little slimmer but some felt thicker. Haven't played the new JEM77WDP CNL so your guess is as good as mine. I prefer the Wizard III over these Jem Premium necks.

New Premium neck: I hated this neck. It's like Ibanez is teasing us. The treble side is very nice and slick and thin, but the bass side is where you get that chunk. You've almost got the Super Prestige neck but if you really want it, you have to spend more....though the prices on these models are actually a little more than the current RG655 trem models (go figure). The one RG6PCMLTD that I played actually felt very close to the Super Prestige (though still slightly meaty on bass side). I actually think the previous Premium neck shape was better. That one actually felt like a slightly thicker version of the Super Prestige necks.

Iron Label/Nitro Wizard: Honestly, this feels like a flattened strat neck so it feels kind of chunky all over but it's even all around so it's not too bad. Thickness varies, depending on which model you play.

So, my question is, have you guys noticed these inconsistencies as well or is it just here in the US? Or do the necks coming from Indonesia differ for different regions? And do any of you prefer these new asymmetrical neck shapes? None of these necks are as bad as the Wizard II necks but it's still annoying when cheaper guitars from different brands have more consistent neck shapes. 

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited August 2017
    It might help to know in which location(s) the Wizard III is currently manufactured.

Given that production uses automated CNC machinery, the end result depends on a human operator retrieving the correct set of instructions. 

Even assuming that every single raw neck comes off the CNC machine identical, there will be a time delay before the formed parts reach the spray shop. Enough time for moisture content to change. 

On old Fender and Gibson guitars, the point on the production line where these kind of inconsistencies creep in is the band sander. (Human being, holding wood against abrasive for arbitrary lengths of time.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've got an RG Iron Label (IR20E) and it's got a 3 piece Maple and Bubinga neck, Wizard Nitro.
    You're right it is like a flattened strat, it is however fantastic to hold and play. It's not inconsistent and it's beautifully made.
  • Thanks for that info, Funkfingers. I hadn't even considered the time delay thing in the production. All the guitars that I played were from Indonesia so I just assumed it was from the same location. I haven't seen the Wizard III from other locations, at least the new ones I played anyway.

And Alnico, you're right about the neck being nice on the Iron label. I just prefer the real slimness of the super prestige necks, it's like butta! The thing that bothers me about the Iron labels is the way some of them are set up when it comes to pick up wiring/switching, the finish and other such. I'm also one of those people who actually likes having the inlays on my fretboard. I'm considering the SIX6FDM but I'm not too hot about the reverse headstock and the aforementioned pickup switching. I may just stick with JemJr and modifying it or the S520.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I have an RG550XH which I believe has a Wizard III.

I used to have an RG350EX which had a Wizard II, and compared to that the III is maybe a hair deeper and also more rounded - the II had a very flat back, and my III is more like the C shape you mention. The III is certainly more comfortable.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    This was mine on day 1.

http://i.imgur.com/J5vD9oq.jpg

EMG 81/60 hacked into a cheap master volume and a killswitch.

I bought an EMG 85 for the bridge and moved the 81 to the neck, fitted an EMG 3 way switch and used the Volume and Tone pots that came with the 85. I had to buy one pickup wire for the neck pickup and it's all solderless.
    I've also fitted Ibanez Sure Grip III knobs and a Carbon tremolo arm.
    Soon I'm having the battery holder removed and the cavity rerouted for a double battery holder to run it at 18v.
    Also, a middle pickup routed, an EMG SA fitted and the switch replaced with an EMG 5 way. At that point It's having a mirror finish Jem Pickguard fitted over the front, keeping the back rout the same way the clear ones fit onto the swirled models. I'll modify the body mounted pickups back to threaded pickguard type and it'll give it more of a higher end RG feel.
    I've got a UV777BK that it's fairly similar to in basic looks and although they won't match exactly I'd love to see my Iron Label decked out in the same styling........

http://i.imgur.com/hMYHKxa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lAy1IlH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CUSMhdk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KxbTNXP.jpg

It's having MOP dot fret markers retro fitted very soon and finally sometime next year I'll replace the Edge Zero II bridge with a Low Pro.

It's one of my Favourite guitars ever and we got it so cheap that I will still not spend as much as I would on a used Jem.
    I'm really happy with it.