Anyone know about mountain bike tyres?

axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I had these great tyres, folding Panaracer ones. I really liked them as they were so easy to take off, but they eventually wore out. I bought another set of folding Panaracer tyres but they were very disappointing in that they are virtually impossible to get on and off. I can only do it with tyre levers AND some fairy liquid lubrication (!). Anyway, I have a vague recollection that they were 'tubeless ready', which I didn't really think about at the time, but I guess that means that they are a super tight fit, hence hard to put on. So, I'm wondering if my old tyres were like regular folding tyres, or if they were just very worn out and that's why they were so easy to take off.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tubeless are by design a super tight fit, so your old ones were regular folding.

Tubeless are great if you can go with them. You don't necessarily need tubeless rims either as you can botch them by sealing up your rims with electrical tape.

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/video/how-to-make-a-diy-cyclocross-tubeless-setup-ghetto-tubeless-tyres

https://www.gmbn.com/video/how-to-fit-tubeless-mtb-tyres-mountain-bike-maintenance

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    My uncle is big into bikes. I'm sure he'd know the answer. If no one can help I'll ask him and let you know. I think he's mainly road racing bikes but he has mountain bikes too
  • Tubeless is a great option unless you're doing super rough stuff... Popping a tyre when you're tubeless is a messy and time consuming (and usually ride ending) pain in the arse! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    @axisus what kind of riding are you doing?
    But as has been said, tubeless tyres are generally a bit tighter, but it varies between brands. Continental are renowned for being tight fitting, Schwalbe tend to be loser. Maxxis and Michelin sit in between. I've not used panaracer for years (I used to really like Cinder's, but swapped to other tyres when I went tubeless), as they've pretty much fallen of the radar, but they're folding tyres used to be very lose. If you let us know what kind of riding you're doing, I'm sure we can recommend something suitable.

@legionreturns tubeless is far better for rough stuff, provided you set it up properly and aren't running stupidly low pressures. I've ran tubeless on bikes for years (downhill, hardtail, and pedally bouncer), and the only problems I've had are either due to sealant drying out, running them at too low a pressure (means they fold over if cornering hard, which leads to burping or even rolling them of the rim, and you're far more likely to damage the rim), or simply tearing holes in them, but then that will cause problems even with a tube.
    I would never go back to tubes voluntarily, as not getting snake bites is worth the hassle setting tubeless up. And that's before you consider the benefit of avoiding punctures from thorns.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    @axisus yes if your new ones are tubeless ready they will be an absolute arse to get off.

That said panaracer are a damn site easier than Schwalbe. It seems like all the good tyres are tubeless ready these days. I have to carry a small bottle of fairy liquid with me now in case of punctures.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    @axisus I got this reply from my uncle. Not sure if it's of any use to you..

"Tubeless ready tyres  are more difficult to put on as they have a thicker sidewall for protection , the tyres that come off easily will not be tubeless ready but can still be run tubeless and are a lot lighter than the tubeless ready"
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    edited August 2017
    I've found my Specialized Clutch SX tyres really easy to get on and off compared to most other brands. They're tubeless ready as well. Think they're 1.5ply rather than 2 like most. And they last forever - I still have the one I was using as a front tyre for a whole summer at Whistler Bike Park in 2011, it's been moved to the back and the knobs are a bit rounded but still has loads of life left in it I reckon !
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Thanks people, I think I'm gonna get some new ones that aren't tubeless ready. I'm pretty old school so I feel happier with an inner tube. I ride mostly off road, bridlepaths etc, nothing too mad but usually at a pretty fast pace.

ps. anyone want to buy some used tyres :)
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    If I were an MTB rider I'd be going tubeless, the advantages are just too numerous.

Lower pressures (more grip and comfort, as long as you're not running them stupidly soft)
    No pinch flats
    Lower rolling resistance
    No thorn flats

Offset against that is the increased effort to get them on.
    Once they're on, there's no disadvantage. If you happen to get a flat that won't seal with the sealant, worst comes to the worst you can just stick a tube in and run them as normal.

Some people add stuff to the sealant to make it plug bigger holes. I've heard glitter works well!

On the road I'm much less sold on tubeless, as there's very few rim/tyre combinations that can run proper road pressures (80-100psi), they all seem to recommend very low pressures around 60psi which is to soft on the road for my liking.
    I've never had a pinch flat either, I consider it a non-issue unless you're ploughing through potholes etc.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!