eBay Content: Speculative Idiocy

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

*sigh*

As the saying goes...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Based in Penicuik? I lived there for 5 years before moving to Northern Ireland. Of little relevance, I know. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    Just down the road from me...

The description does come across as dickish, but it is a fairly rare thing - it's a shame about the damage though, it does detract quite badly. I have no real idea what it's worth but if it all works I wouldn't be surprised if it's as much as a grand.

That said, the much nicer GR-300 in the shop I work for hasn't had much interest at £1500.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Just down the road from me...

The description does come across as dickish, but it is a fairly rare thing - it's a shame about the damage though, it does detract quite badly. I have no real idea what it's worth but if it all works I wouldn't be surprised if it's as much as a grand.

That said, the much nicer GR-300 in the shop I work for hasn't had much interest at £1500.
    Where abouts are you mate?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Something else he doesn't know much about is photography.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    Odd to see one with actual wear from handling and playing.

the local Chicago rock used to have one screwed directly to the wall along with a lime green peavy T-60.   I begged them to let me save them, offered a decent price too.  Then one day they had a refurb and they were gone :(
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Alexander Pope said:
    a little learning is a dangerous thing.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Alexander Pope said:
    a little learning is a dangerous thing.

Pedant. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

I can't quite recall how many of these I've currently got...I've owned around 10 in the past, but I think I've now got 5 or 6 GR-700s and 3 or 4 G-707s at the moment.

This is the most battered I've seen in some time (looks like it's missing its end cheeks too?). Also, *if* it's currently working properly, it probably won't be in the long term (voice chip failure).

IMHO, GR-700/G-707 setups rarely sell for £1K (or £1K+), although the PG-200 does attract a premium (if included), as do unusual 707 colours (Black or Red). This is an example where 'ambitious' sellers (asking OTT money) push up perceived value.

There was a time when you could pick these up complete for £250, but based on my recent experience, systems nowadays *generally* achieve £500-£700 max. I would have thought something like £400 would be generous for this particular example.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    I can't quite recall how many of these I've currently got...I've owned around 10 in the past, but I think I've now got 5 or 6 GR-700s and 3 or 4 G-707s at the moment.
    lol

I defer to your much greater experience :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9634
    I love how a guitar synth sounds "very Les Paul".
    edited August 2017
    Having briefly had custody of a Roland G-707, I can vouch for the fact that its stock pickups are surprisingly good.
    ICBM said:
    I defer to your much greater experience D.
    No need to go quite that far, sir.

Ownership of half a dozen Roland GR-700 synthesizers is no guarantee of having any more than fifteen of the thirty six voice chips working consistently. 
    Ownership of half a dozen Roland GR-700 synthesizers is no guarantee of having any more than fifteen of the thirty six voice chips working consistently. 
    Indeed. :(

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Having briefly had custody of a Roland G-707, I can vouch for the fact that its stock pickups are surprisingly good.
    ICBM said:
    I defer to your much greater experience D.
    No need to go quite that far, sir.

At the very least, it makes for an educated guess.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2580
    tFB Trader
    does it Djent?

sorry could not resist
    does it Djent?

F no.

The triggering on the low E string is slower than a very slow thing. Down tune to C or B and the GR-700 VCA Envelope would have closed before the tracking had responded to the note played.
    does it Djent?

F no.

The triggering on the low E string is slower than a very slow thing. Down tune to C or B and the GR-700 VCA Envelope would have closed before the tracking had responded to the note played.
    Indeed. It might make some interestingly discordant random noises along the way though. Or not.