Enforced time off work...

What's Hot
MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
So, after going full time the university have failed to pay me. Die to lack of funds I'm now stuck at home until I get paid. Have food money for a couple of weeks unless I go crazy and eat three meals a day.

I guess I have no excuse not to play guitar, read or watch the stack of movies I've been dusting around. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Can't they issue an emergency payment?
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28457
    What Holn said. The University will be well capable of issuing an emergency payment.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Have they said why they haven't paid you? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've worked for several universities. The one unifying truth was "teething problems" at the start of the contracts.
    When I first started in my current job i discovered they paid in arrears. The job before paid in advance. So I had 8 weeks between cheques. Not ideal is it! 

As others have said, they CAN issue an emergency payment. Either by giving you a cheque or by putting you through on another pay run- different staff get paid at different times so there should be a batch you can be added to very soon. 
    I'd speak to your supervisor and get on to the payroll department ASAP, they will try to help- everyone can sympathise with your situation. 

Good luck. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30295
    edited August 2017
    Myranda said:
    . Die to lack of funds
    Let's hope it doesn't come to that!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Payroll department will do a CHAPs payment if you ask them nicely/claim hardship or inconvenience (especially if they've messed up!) They'll probably record it as an advance on their payroll system and you should get it same day. It happens a lot and you needn't go short.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    holnrew said:
    Can't they issue an emergency payment?
    They're trying... Estimate as 6th - 11th

But as they haven't finished signing off my contract payroll are being delayed 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24376
    Just reopen your justgiving page thing...  there are lots of rich boys on here who could bung you a few quid I'm sure.  If we all have you five quid, you'd have plenty to tide you over with.  What's five quid ?  One pint ?  Two quid more than a Tesco meal deal ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    oaf said:
    Payroll department will do a CHAPs payment if you ask them nicely/claim hardship or inconvenience (especially if they've messed up!) They'll probably record it as an advance on their payroll system and you should get it same day. It happens a lot and you needn't go short.
    Payroll have stated they need my initial contract in place before they do anything - which is fair I suppose.

The accounts management team at Finance are busy due to the end of the financial year (starts in September for the uni) and its on their desk... probably get signed off at the end of the week.

So there team is busy, and as a result our team is person down, while we're incredibly busy too... job had to be approved by faculty, IT department, and finance before going up on the job board... so other than signing/authorising it all, what is left to do? Who knows, but it will be done at the end of the week... even telling someone from accounts (who is 'dealing' with it) that I cannot get to work so they're paying me to sit at home from today she still said "I'll get around to it" 
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Ah no contract... yep no chance of pay then as you say. Hope they get it signed off soon and good luck!
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Myranda said:

they're paying me to sit at home from today 

Nice work if you can get it.

Myranda said:

they're paying me to sit at home from today 

Nice work if you can get it.

Yup... got a stack of reading to do, so hope to make the most of it

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    What is it with uni's and HR?
    My wife is in a similar situation.
    It was also at the end of her last contract (1 year) before she actually got the paper work through.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9658
    I've worked for several universities. The one unifying truth was "teething problems" at the start of the contracts.
    When I first started in my current job i discovered they paid in arrears. The job before paid in advance. So I had 8 weeks between cheques. Not ideal is it! 

I remember one boss when I was doing postdoc research telling two of us we wouldn't get paid one month because they'd been juggling people and contracts. Luckily it was all resolved before payday. I later successfully applied for a 28 month contract at another university, which ran out after 20 months because they'd wasted 8 months before appointing me. Doesn't look like things have improved!
  • I've worked for several universities. The one unifying truth was "teething problems" at the start of the contracts.

I remember one boss when I was doing postdoc research telling two of us we wouldn't get paid one month because they'd been juggling people and contracts. Luckily it was all resolved before payday. I later successfully applied for a 28 month contract at another university, which ran out after 20 months because they'd wasted 8 months before appointing me. Doesn't look like things have improved!
    The best one I had was at the end of a contract for my old job. I knew my end date (at Christmas) was approaching, so I asked them "what happens next? redundancy payout? extension? Just don't come in after that date?" I had 6months left...
    They said it was fine, your record shows you're on an "open ended contract don't worry about it. You won't be made redundant". So I didn't... Until on the 1st of December I get an official letter telling me this was my last paycheque & I was unemployed after 25/12. 

Luckily we found extra funding to extend my contract, but I do wonder if any of them could find their arse without using both hands. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom