Fender Jazzmaster - Educate Me Please...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I don't get (and I think I write this every time the subject arises!) the whole thing about JMs not being versatile @Lebarque. My main gigging guitar is a Squier Mascis JM (I know it's not a 'proper' one) and I use a (proper) AVRI Thin Skin for recording. Live the JMJM covers everything from gnarly fuzzed-out psych to airy pastoral hippy bollocks. Neck pickup stock Squier, the bridge is Mojo. Awesome sound and playability is nore like a 'normal' guitar due to the re-positioned tremolo.

The Mascis (Classic Players have the same trem location mod I think) should appeal to those who find the Jazzmaster's 'feel' a bit uncomfortable, although a T-O-M bridge is in no way a substitute for the rocking assembly of the original, which if set up well is isn't an issue. I have certainly never felt the need to replace mine with Staytrems or Masterys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Gagaryn said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    Don't fancy a self build @Wazmeister ?

With talented people like GSPBASSES and Lamf68 combined with Mojo and Oil City Pickups, you can have one to your own spec. 

All going well with UPS, I'll be posting up some pictures of something pretty special using the people above to give you some inspiration. 
    If I was buying today, I'd be tempted by this route. :-)
    I can vouch for this option (well, MJT/Musikraft, but the same concept). Though you need to be super confident in terms of what spec you want, which is very tricky for a first-time buyer, especially when you're talking offsets rather than a Tele!

But when it works it's awesome...

Inca Silver

I want your pickguard. :-)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    BTW - here is mine - I'm not sold on the gold guard but the original tort had to come off as it was the worst tort I had ever seen - it looked like corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27184
    Gagaryn said:
    Gagaryn said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    Don't fancy a self build @Wazmeister ?

With talented people like GSPBASSES and Lamf68 combined with Mojo and Oil City Pickups, you can have one to your own spec. 

All going well with UPS, I'll be posting up some pictures of something pretty special using the people above to give you some inspiration. 
    If I was buying today, I'd be tempted by this route. :-)
    I can vouch for this option (well, MJT/Musikraft, but the same concept). Though you need to be super confident in terms of what spec you want, which is very tricky for a first-time buyer, especially when you're talking offsets rather than a Tele!

But when it works it's awesome...

Inca Silver

I want your pickguard. :-)
    You can't have it - it's an 60's one, which means a) it's beautiful and b) it's quite warped already but somehow not cracked anywhere, and c) if it spends more than a day or so not screwed down it'll roll up like a carpet! 

But for the same price as a Spitfire it's got so much more mojo...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Appreciate all the input folks...

I'm hopefully gonna try some at Coda next week :)

I'm loving the relics there...