shipping brazillian RW guitar in the EU

What's Hot
Would you trust shipping a Brazillian RW necked guitar in the EU? apparently its ok to do and doesn't need CITES but i'd be frightened to death....

cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Awkward one.
    strictly speaking by the letter of the law you need a CITES certificate to sell any guitar that contains Brazil rosewood even for a UK to UK sale, but most ignore it as the radar is not picking up such sales. Be it dealer based, FB, Gumtree or EBay etc.

there is no customs barriers between EU nations so no additional checks in place. As such just as easy to sell UK to UK or UK to EU, or should I say just as risky
  • what if it gets confiscated and burned it the border log burner tho.....?  :s
    tFB Trader
    Should have asked. What guitar is it?
  • the ME1 thats on sale here in Slovenia
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    Awkward one.
    strictly speaking by the letter of the law you need a CITES certificate to sell any guitar that contains Brazil rosewood even for a UK to UK sale, but most ignore it as the radar is not picking up such sales. Be it dealer based, FB, Gumtree or EBay etc.

there is no customs barriers between EU nations so no additional checks in place. As such just as easy to sell UK to UK or UK to EU, or should I say just as risky
    They're spot checking in some places, notably Germany. Not heard of problems in the UK, but there is a story on Facebook about an ME1 that got seized and destroyed by German customs very recently as there was no CITES passport for the Brazilian RW, and it was only coming from the UK.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitecat said:
    Awkward one.

They're spot checking in some places, notably Germany. Not heard of problems in the UK, but there is a story on Facebook about an ME1 that got seized and destroyed by German customs very recently as there was no CITES passport for the Brazilian RW, and it was only coming from the UK.
    yes i heard about that too, its all makes me very uneasy.  :/ 
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Awkward one.

I heard the same story. And I know for a 100% fact that you won't get a CITES certificate for it either. Long story, but essentially many such guitars were shipped into the EU and UK when whilst the law was actually in place, authorities did not really question it. Yet as shipped this way, USA companies have no appropriate export info for you today to acquire a retrospective CITES certificate. As such all sales as I mentioned above are carried out under the radar.

i heard German authorities just carried out a few eBay checks to see what was been sold as such and responded accordingly. There is no checking at the point of customs as goods move through the EU. Other Geman instances relate to guitars listed for sale in Germany

am I catious and concerned about stock I have that is similar? Yes. But the only other option is to stay clear. Yet we are all doing it
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    edited September 2017
    There is no checking at the point of customs as goods move through the EU. 

Well, there's not meant to be, but there still is - again, mainly spot-checking for contraband etc. My wife ordered some stuff from Poland last Christmas (via eBay) and it never arrived, she opened an eBay claim, seller issued refund. Two months later parcel arrives with OPENED BY HMRC tape/stickers all over it. Had been re-sealed and released. Wife had to contact eBay seller to offer to pay again as they were out the money, they had considered it "lost." So they are checking, occasionally! There's just no taxation happening... it's all looking for illegal stuff, when it happens.
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:

Well, there's not meant to be, but there still is - again, mainly spot-checking for contraband etc. My wife ordered some stuff from Poland last Christmas (via eBay) and it never arrived, she opened an eBay claim, seller issued refund. Two months later parcel arrives with OPENED BY HMRC tape/stickers all over it. Had been re-sealed and released. Wife had to contact eBay seller to offer to pay again as they were out the money, they had considered it "lost." So they are checking, occasionally! There's just no taxation happening... it's all looking for illegal stuff, when it happens.
    Point taken, but surely a needle in a haystack. Which is fine until it is you that is caught 
  • Whitecat said:

Point taken, but surely a needle in a haystack. Which is fine until it is you that is caught 
    And thats what worries me, i would fall into a barrel of nipples and come out sucking my thumb  :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I managed to smuggle a rosewood guitar hidden inside a huge consignment of heroin.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Given the cost of postage and value of the instrument isn't it worth a quick Ryanair flight?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Given the cost of postage and value of the instrument isn't it worth a quick Ryanair flight?
    Thought occurred to me as well
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    You're joking - one of the easiest ways to end up with two half-guitars is to put it on a plane and expect it to survive - have you seen what baggage handlers do?
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Oh forgot to add - this CITES thing - I recently bought a bass with a rosewood fingerboard from Japan. Some Japanese sellers specifically mentioned they'd need to apply for a certificate, and it could add 2-4 weeks etc etc while others never mentioned anything. I took the chance and it sailed through with no seizure through customs. I guess if something did get caught, you could get a refund and leave it to the seller to take the loss, if you paid by credit card with tracking on the delivery.
    tFB Trader
    paul_c2 said:
    You're joking - one of the easiest ways to end up with two half-guitars is to put it on a plane and expect it to survive - have you seen what baggage handlers do?
    Heavy case for a Modern Eagle. I'd put the case in the hold and take the guitar on board in a good gig bag
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom