NGD: Zero One Guitars - Thinline 'Albert'

What's Hot
danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
edited September 2017 in Guitar
On the back of my thread about luthier and independent built guitars I've ended up with a Tele Thinline by Zero One Guitars.

Jeff Beer has built less than 30 guitars up to this point and this is one of his more recent builds, completed late last year after about 8 months. I'll do a more comprehensive write up in the review section at some point, but this is a full scratch build, down to the pickup flatware. Swamp Ash, 6pence strap locks, referencing 1967 when thin line was prototyped and 1966 from which control plate and pickups are based.

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That's quite tasty, roughly how much?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    edited September 2017
    Sent you a pm as he doesn't post his prices publicly, but he's good about replying to messages on his FB page for more details:

https://www.facebook.com/ZERO-ONE-Guitars-393710820789091/
  • Tone sample, on bridge pickup through Superchamp XD amp. Been trying to figure out Jesse Ed Davis' solo on "Ain't that a lot of love" from the rock and roll circus film. 

https://streamable.com/s/m5g8m/lpermz
  • Looks great.

Also love to see someone who isn't ashamed to put their own logo on something rather than use someone else's. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    Looks great.

Also love to see someone who isn't ashamed to put their own logo on something rather than use someone else's. 
    The builder's take is that his guitars are not replicas, rather interpretations of certain guitars. 
  • Looks great.

The builder's take is that his guitars are not replicas, rather interpretations of certain guitars.

That's a lovely looking tele, however I'm struggling to see how it's an interpretation, that's a tele with a different pick guard through and through. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm friends with him on facebook, he makes lovely guitars.
  • Looks great.

That's a lovely looking tele, however I'm struggling to see how it's an interpretation, that's a tele with a different pick guard through and through. 
    Indeed it is a Tele thinline through and through, however made with Swamp ash and a different control arrangement to the original so not entirely a straight copy. If you consider that the pickups are different altogether output and voicing wise it's a different guitar, despite it having (borrowing or copying) the same fundamental design. The body routing is done from the top on this one, as opposed to the back on the original thin lines. I've never played an original thinline though so can't say much about playability or tone. 
  • I've had a few of his guitars and played quite a few more. I'm surprised by the 30 figure, my friend has had about 4 built by him as well. 
  • I've had a few of his guitars and played quite a few more. I'm surprised by the 30 figure, my friend has had about 4 built by him as well. 
    A few!? Do tell...
  • LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    edited September 2017
    Looks great HNGD.Whats the balance like on it.I hear many folks complain these are neck heavy.
  • Lozboy said:
    Looks great HNGD.Whats the balance like on it.I hear many folks complain these are neck heavy.
    Very well balanced, 2.9kg, not neck heavy at all, but I wear the guitar high and am not particularly sensitive to this sort of thing. Feels great in the hand, sat down or standing. 
    A few!? Do tell...
    Trying to remember, definitely an desert sand esquire and a tele. My friend has 2 teles, a sunburst strat and 2 crash strats (I'm not 100% both are ZO though thinking about it). He's a fan boy. 

Also, He did the relic on my thin skin actually that now is owned by the guy from the shires. Great guitar. 
  • Looks great.

Totally with this point of view, gotta partscaster in the process with screlics ( @lonestar of this parish) and have got him to pop his logo on it -as it isn't a fender and he's done the most work on it. I'm a strong believer in recognising the guy who has done the most leg work on a build, whether from scratch or parts.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent aside;  that is one hell of a good looking thinline, enjoy it dude.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Jeff is my go to luthier.  He's an amazing talent and I'd never use anyone else now. I played his Les Paul the other day that he made.. . Wow!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    Jetfire said:
    Jeff is my go to luthier.  He's an amazing talent and I'd never use anyone else now. I played his Les Paul the other day that he made.. . Wow!!
    'Sylvia' is special, wish I had the funds...
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ask Jeff to build one, only waiting till 2019 for it arrive lol
  • Jetfire said:
    Ask Jeff to build one, only waiting till 2019 for it arrive lol
    I suppose that's the common 'be prepared to wait' advice for having a custom guitar made. Not sure where I'd even begin though...