Fender JagYouAreN't?

What's Hot

This

I'm particularly enjoying the headstock pic with the blurred 'Jaguar' script.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Already had one bid...
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72356
    I'll have a look at the pics later - I can't see clearly enough at phone resolution - but it does look like a real Jag, even though it's obviously refinished.

The pickguard at least does look right - and of course it would not be tortoiseshell on an original Candy Apple finish. Most likely a sunburst originally.

Or it may not be original to that guitar... the claws are missing from the pickups too, so who knows what else might be under there.

Whatever it is it's definitely not an all-original '64 Jag though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    It's a pretty thing though.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Comparing pics of this guitar on my phone to my 64 hanging on the wall it looks the real deal, refinish pickup claws aside.
  • None of the listing photographs is remotely sharp enough for the purposes of selling a vintage electric guitar. 

The finish checking is peculiar. Lots of big square areas on the top. Almost nothing on the back. The buckle rash looks more like ten minutes with a metalworking tool than fifty three years of honest gigging. 

I agree with ICBM about the mismatch between the finish and pickguard colours. Could be a genuine 1964 'guard but it would not have left the factory screwed onto a C.A.R. guitar.

It does seem odd to me that the pickguard has shrunk away from the Master control plate and, yet, seems to have expanded towards the Rhythm Circuit control plate - to the extent that they overlap! (Does shrinkage cause that much curl?)

The neck position pickup is under a Stratocaster pickup cover. You have to wonder what lies beneath. It would take some effort to break the original cover under normal playing circumstances. Surely, even with a spurious cover, if you re-use the original screw holes, the pickup should align perpendicularly to the strings?

For me, the telling line in the listing description is this. "New, professionally aged Fender hard case. Not original case but a perfect match, correct for guitar and year." If somebody has gone to that much trouble to age a modern imitation of a vintage guitar case, who is to say that they have not gone to similar efforts on the guitar itself?

Caveat hoarder.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Could be a genuine 1964 'guard but it would not have left the factory screwed onto a C.A.R. guitar.

It does seem odd to me that the pickguard has shrunk away from the Master control plate and, yet, seems to have expanded towards the Rhythm Circuit control plate - to the extent that they overlap! (Does shrinkage cause that much curl?)
    Yes, which is why I think it may be a genuine guard. Although not necessarily from that guitar...

The neck position pickup is under a Stratocaster pickup cover. You have to wonder what lies beneath. It would take some effort to break the original cover under normal playing circumstances. Surely, even with a spurious cover, if you re-use the original screw holes, the pickup should align perpendicularly to the strings?
    Exactly - if neither the guard or the pickups are definitely original, that makes me question what may be under the guard... humbucker "routs" (usually done with what looks like a semi-trained rodent) are not at all unlikely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    That bridge pickup! Where is

??? 
  • The starting price of the auction item is a fraction of the typical present day value of a tidy example. This suggests to me that the guitar is either fecked or fake.

The underlying issue illustrated by this thread is the unfettered hoarding instinct. The constant search for the bargain of the century. Eventually, the nose for a good price dominates the "do I actually NEED this?" self-regulating faculty.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The  underlying issue illustrated by this thread is the unfettered hoarding instinct.
    I'll put my hand up to that bit. ;)

Funkfingers said:
    The constant search for the bargain of the century. Eventually, the nose for a good price dominates...

I'm less clear on that...

...the "do I actually NEED this?" self-regulating faculty.
    But I definitely don't have one of those. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

The starting price of the auction item is a fraction of the typical present day value of a tidy example. This suggests to me that the guitar is either fecked or fake.
    Or both, at least partly.

Now I've had a look at full screen size, I do think it's probably a real old Jag, but I'm very suspicious about the neck pickup. It is definitely mounted off straight, it's not just an illusion of the Strat cover. There maybe room in the cavity to achieve that, but it's more likely there is wood missing.

There's no way the finish is original, that horrible fake-looking checking on the front is nothing like you ever get on a real Fender finish.

Also refretted and (I think) the nut replaced, but those are not issues if done well enough, on a 'player' guitar.