Which games console?

What's Hot
A bit of advice from the gamers on here please:

I've never had any interest at all in computer games and the like, the whole thing passed me by.
My son turns 8 next month and is asking for a handheld console - I think it's time we gave in and embraced the 21st century.

Problem is I have no idea what to look at. There's loads out there and I'm lost. He's mentioned 2DS/3DS?? Which I think is what one of his friends has.

Any recommendation on the best to buy for an 8 year old?

Jase
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    At that age I'd be looking at a Nintendo 2ds, the games are mostly kiddy friendly, they're very entertaining, the battery life is good and they will take the abuse an 8 year old will give it 

My son has one since he was 5 (he's 7 now) still plays it regular and while it's (the DS not the boy) a bit beaten up it still works fine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28512
    The 2DS and 3DS are fundamentally the same console, just that the 3DS has a stereoscopic 3D screen (which you can turn off). They play exactly the same games.

Get whichever has the better bundle of games. And a charger - they don't come with one.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Anything called 3DS or 2DS will play the same games.

The regular 2DS is absolutely adequate for an 8 year old and quite cheap, though the "New 2DS XL" has bigger screens and folds up which should make it a bit tougher. That's the one I would go for for myself.

I have a "New 3DS XL", which is great, but honestly the 3D element is a gimmick and not worth spending extra on.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited September 2017
    Sporky said:
    The 2DS and 3DS are fundamentally the same console, just that the 3DS has a stereoscopic 3D screen (which you can turn off). They play exactly the same games.

Get whichever has the better bundle of games. And a charger - they don't come with one.

I suggested 2ds as there's no fragile plastic hinge to snap.

Both 2ds I bought came with a charger? Why would they sell them without, it's not like it's a standard mini usb
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Thanks. Sounds like the 2DS gets the the vote. XL sounds good as it folds up
    monofin said:
     XL sounds good as it folds up

That means hinges, for me this makes the design eminently more breakable
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Sony PS4 Pro and a 75inch 4K television will keep him occupied for a while.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    PCMasterRace.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah the 2DS would definitely be the choice for a young child as they are quite rugged even though they don't close.  
  • Just miss out this 12 month period and get an XBox or PS4. He'll be banging on about them soon enough. There will be parents who've gone there already. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited September 2017
    Just miss out this 12 month period and get an XBox or PS4. He'll be banging on about them soon enough. There will be parents who've gone there already. 

My boy also has an Xbox one but he still uses his DS a lot, great for car trips, visiting boring places etc and of course it has the Pokemon games so a must have for most kids.