'Stumbled' across this on you-tube - 'The Stumble' played with 6 vintage guitars!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
edited September 2017 in Guitar
I love the way Gary Moore (RIP) played the Stumble at Montreaux, and of course he was a unique, great, great player.  But this guy (Michael Wagner) ain't bad neither!  This is a lovely take on this great Freddie King song, and uniquely played with SIX vintage guitars.  Great playing & very neatly edited...love it, so thought I'd share it with you guys!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Very entertaining, thanks for sharing that! 
    That LP Special sounded fantastic....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Reminded me of why I prefer single coils although the SG sounded pretty good.
    Also reminded me of why I can't stand Firebirds, horrible sounding thing.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited September 2017
    Sassafras said:
    Actually I thought the Firebird sounded pretty darned good. In fact they each had their own character..loved the lp tv.  The weakest sounding to my ears was the 1968 Strat. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Great find! Absolutely lovely playing. I thought the firebird sounded superb, and also agree that the strat was least good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • His playing seems to suit Gibsons - I thought the Firebird sounded great.
  • Great playing 

Gibson 1957 Junior sounds fantastic 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    I thought here we go, more hackneyed blues-rock... but that was excellent.

All the guitars sound good to me, but I do like the Gibsons better - the 335 and especially the Firebird (love the bit where he switches to the neck pickup).
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    That Special...!
  • Good stuff.
    It's not a competition.
  • Yep that firebird sounded fantastic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited September 2017
    Loved the LP Special! Proof that p90s are the best. SG was also great. Strat sounded awful to me.
  • Voxman said:
    Sassafras said:
    Actually I thought the Firebird sounded pretty darned good. In fact they each had their own character..loved the lp tv.  The weakest sounding to my ears was the 1968 Strat. 

A standard Strat bridge pick-up isn't really hot enough for Freddie King style blues IMHO. If he were playing Apache rather than The Stumble the Strat would probably have out-shined the others :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited September 2017
    Plectrum said:
    Voxman said:
    Sassafras said:

A standard Strat bridge pick-up isn't really hot enough for Freddie King style blues IMHO. If he were playing Apache rather than The Stumble the Strat would probably have out-shined the others
     - or Knopfler 'Sultans' etc. What was interesting is that he chose to use the neck p/up -  on the Tele he used the bridge & I think the Strat bridge or even middle p/up would have been better for that style.  But its still an excellent vid with some wonderful playing to compare 6 gorgeous vintage guitars.  

BTW, for those interested, this was all done with a Kemper profiling amp.