Guitar lost most of its output

What's Hot
EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
edited September 2017 in Guitar
I have a dual humbucker guitar that today when I plugged it in appears to have lost the majority of its output. Where any other guitar would be driving an amp with exreme distortion, this one remains quite clean.

I don't think its a pickup issue, as it affects both pickups, so unless they've both de-magnetised quickly and simultaneously I think it must be something else.

The guitar hisses/hums a bit if the volume isn't on full. Suggests there might be a problem with the pot? Wiring all looks fine to me...

Anyone had an issue like this before? All help appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Jack connection maybe? If it's a standard Gibson 4 pot configuration, you're looking at an issue between the switch and the jack if it does the same thing in all pickup positions. 
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    Any sound when you move the pots back and forth a few times?
    What happens if you switch to only one pickup?
  • If the guitar has active pickups, EQ or a built-in booster device, this circuitry requires +9v power. Check the condition of the PP3 battery and its connections.

On a general level, the remote diagnosis of guitar wiring issues is greatly aided by the inclusion of basic information about the guitar make/model, a schematic diagram and photographs of the wiring in your actual guitar.

Could be something as simple as a dried solder joint.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom