Moderately priced full fat Les Paul/Singlecut....with vintage appeal?

What's Hot

Whilst I am now deep into understanding why the LP and SG are such classic guitars, I am just wondering what the UK alternatives are (they do not have to be made here) for a good quality, well thought out single-cut humbucking LP-like guitar?

Feline's guitars look INCREDIBLE but for the next few years I don't want to invest that heavily....yet.

Sadly I think it's probably going to be a case of sticking with a Gibson Classic LP/Traditional LP when the 2017 sales hit. I'd like to try something new but whatever it is, it cannot be high gain/metal orientated....at all.

Any ideas?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10636
    tFB Trader
    The question is what do you call moderately priced? 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Just look for a used Gibson with the spec you want.  There are usually quite a lot available, just check weights first if that is an issue for you
  • The question is what do you call moderately priced? 

I'd say £1400 is moderate. £2000-2200 high for me, at the moment. That's just my current 'psychological' limit to guitars and basses. For example, my Musicman Stingray Classic 5 String Bass is probably one of the highest spec instruments I've owned/played. I know from playing Musicman guitars they can make a damn nice instrument for around £1600-2000.

If I didn't have so many other things I like to buy, like limited vinyl, it might be a different story.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The current tributes are really bloody good value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10636
    tFB Trader
    Just look for a used Gibson with the spec you want.  There are usually quite a lot available, just check weights first if that is an issue for you
    Pretty much this ... There are some very good bargains about if you keep looking.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• underdog said:
    Aye I got one for an amazing price but it's left me wanting more hahahaaahh! Probably no point...
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    underdog said:
    Aye I got one for an amazing price but it's left me wanting more hahahaaahh! Probably no point...
    There's always a point to having more guitars :D

I own 2 LPs and would quite happily buy more, I love them and each has its own "thing".

The current classics look a really good choice, or a 90s standard 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5292
    K Line set neck les paul jr style guitar, they come with p90s and are outstanding
  • For 1400 I would recommend PRS SC 58 stripped or SC 245. 
  • Yeah PRS are on my radar....thanks!
  • For £1,400 it's worth trying a 2016 Les Paul Standard from Amazon Warehouse.  If it's no good they'll take it back, no hassle.  On a good day you can get one for £1,200 or even £1,000 on prime day or black friday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • For £1,400 it's worth trying a 2016 Les Paul Standard from Amazon Warehouse.  If it's no good they'll take it back, no hassle.  On a good day you can get one for £1,200 or even £1,000 on prime day or black friday.

Aye I'm waiting for the deals to start on 2017s as well!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11626
    tFB Trader
    Or next best thing buy an older LP that feels nice and let us loose on it to weave as much magic as we can on both the frets , the electrics and fit an Earvana nut and Ali tailpiece

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    edited September 2017
    I had a couple of Washburn WP's from the nineties. One was every bit as good as a Gibson Les Paul with build quality, sound and weight. The other felt more like an Epi if you catch my drift? Check em out though.