Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Talk me out of buying a firebird

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Those Slash examples answers the OP's original thread title - there you go *two* good reasons not to buy one. You could end up looking a cnut with one of these. Vile.

However, a non-reverse FB with P90s and a Maestro is a thing of beauty and a joy to behold - if you don't mind half a coffee table strapped around your neck.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10490
    tFB Trader
    The problem Firebirds have had over the years is they don't sound like they look. Anyone who has played a 60s original will tell you they have a chewy, spanky sort of Telecaster on steroids sort of tone. The look of the guitar has prompted loads of rockers and metal players to take a punt ... only to be disappointed. These ain't metal guitars ... if anything they are more country and blues.  The Slash guitars are an attempt to make the body shape available to those who want a traditional humbucker tone.. as were several of the reissues and Epi offerings. They aren't and weren't Firebirds ... they are and were firebird shaped ... but sound like traditional Explorers or Flying Vs or whatever.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    Presumably that's why they fit all the modern Thunderbirds with that horrible black hardware too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Presumably that's why they fit all the modern Thunderbirds with that horrible black hardware too...
    That's gross isn't it?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The problem Firebirds have had over the years is they don't sound like they look. Anyone who has played a 60s original will tell you they have a chewy, spanky sort of Telecaster on steroids sort of tone. The look of the guitar has prompted loads of rockers and metal players to take a punt ... only to be disappointed. These ain't metal guitars ... if anything they are more country and blues.  The Slash guitars are an attempt to make the body shape available to those who want a traditional humbucker tone.. as were several of the reissues and Epi offerings. They aren't and weren't Firebirds ... they are and were firebird shaped ... but sound like traditional Explorers or Flying Vs or whatever.
    This - seriously though, the Klein pickups turned mine back into a glorious 'chewy spanky - tele on steroids' Firebird. I would definately recommend.
    tFB Trader
    Exorcist said:
    The problem Firebirds have had over the years is they don't sound like they look. Anyone who has played a 60s original will tell you they have a chewy, spanky sort of Telecaster on steroids sort of tone. The look of the guitar has prompted loads of rockers and metal players to take a punt ... only to be disappointed. These ain't metal guitars ... if anything they are more country and blues.  The Slash guitars are an attempt to make the body shape available to those who want a traditional humbucker tone.. as were several of the reissues and Epi offerings. They aren't and weren't Firebirds ... they are and were firebird shaped ... but sound like traditional Explorers or Flying Vs or whatever.
    This - seriously though, the Klein pickups turned mine back into a glorious 'chewy spanky - tele on steroids' Firebird. I would definately recommend.
    There are a few makers, mostly small ones doing 'proper' firebird pickups ... sad that Gibson themselves won't even try. 

• That's How I remember mine, able to sound very glassy when needed but gave a thump with Fuzz. The flatwounds probably helped some too. 
  • The Slash guitars are ... firebird shaped but sound like traditional Explorers or Flying Vs or whatever.
    Okay. Can we turn this point around for a moment, please?

Is there a way to get arrive at a guitar that sounds like a first series Firebird but does not look like one? i.e. Something to assist the short of stature and/or reach. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    The Slash guitars are ... firebird shaped but sound like traditional Explorers or Flying Vs or whatever.
    Okay. Can we turn this point around for a moment, please?

Is there a way to get arrive at a guitar that sounds like a first series Firebird but does not look like one? i.e. Something to assist the short of stature and/or reach. 
    There certainly is but I won't comment on this as it pertains to one of my own products. google: firebird pickups in a humbucker size

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Somehow I was drawn to these....

http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/firebirdmini.html

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You could get a Non Reverse Firebird.
  • You could get a Non Reverse Firebird.
    I could also cut my penis off ,neither sound appealing  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    grungebob said:
    You could get a Non Reverse Firebird.
    I could also cut my penis off ,neither sound appealing  ;)
    Non reverse Firebirds are, for me, one of the ugliest and most cumbersome designs Gibson have come up with ... all the size issues of a 'reverse' with none of the grace of the original.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know anyone with a Firebird, but there is a person I know who owns a Thunderbird and he is almost 7ft!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone mentioned that huge bloody case yet?
    tFB Trader
    Lozboy said:
    Anyone mentioned that huge bloody case yet?
    I treat them not as a large case, but more as a spare guest room :-) 
    Clearly designed for the 'trunk' of some huge, gas guzzling 60s 'yank tank' rather than the back of a Ford Focus. 

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited September 2017
    Custom Shop Firebird 1 would be tempting. If you bought one, and didn't like it, you would have 50 people wanting to buy it. Right here. Everybody wants a Firebird 1. Look - everybody is nodding.

The blue one at Wildwood weighs 7.54 lbs and the er.....pink one weighs 7.61 lbs. I am sure I have read that these are not neck heavy.......
    What is not to like?
    (They don't sound great. Could we get Greg a diferent amp please??)

https://wildwoodguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/150233_lg3.jpg

https://wildwoodguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/160113_lg3.jpg

• WezVWezV Frets: 16722
    Thunder birds are stupidly neck heavy, firebirds can be okay.  The banjo tuners, large headstock and long neck don't help matters, but a firebird with steinberger tuners will usually balance reasonably well.
    tFB Trader
    If anyone wants a set of Steinberger tuners ... I have a set in my spares box that have been on a guitar, but only used a half dozen times ... was thinking of sticking them in the classifieds.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16722
    edited September 2017
    Do they have a round locking nut on top or a T-shaped one?

the round ones can be a little problematic as the high E can jam in the slot.   They still work okay if you are careful when locking the string in place.