Tony Visconti's Unsung Heroes - anyone see it?

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
I enjoyed it. 
For those that didn't see it - Sky Arts. Visconti is putting on a concert to celebrate his career and he's finding new, unsigned musical talent to play alongside stalwart pros. Stewart Copeland, Imelda May and Nitin Sawhney are also out scouting for talent.
Quite a lot of buskers (albeit all in London) on tonight's episode and some real, genuine talent out there on the streets. Personally, I found the whole thing inspiring - music as an outlet for creativity and passion, not just ego and money.
If you missed it then I urge you to catch up - it was only the first episode. And if you did see it - what do you think? Like to know other people's opinions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    I saw it and enjoyed it too. The guy doing Blackstar was pretty good I thought... a quirky and interesting vocal style. The young woman rapping, singing and playing the guitar looked very good too. I hope they feature her in another episode.
  • I'd be shocked it it doesnt have a 15 minute clip about how he used gated microphones at different distances to get the vocal sound on Bowie's "Heroes".
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Sam Wickens from my part of the world is on it - great musician
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Not yet, I knew it was coming although primarily I'll be watching it for glimpses of my next wife/ Imelda May.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    I'd be shocked it it doesnt have a 15 minute clip about how he used gated microphones at different distances to get the vocal sound on Bowie's "Heroes".
    Which is a shame, as it's one of the more humdrum things about a song filled with sonic wonders.

For example... where's the bass drum? did you even notice you can barely hear it at all?
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Budgie said:
    I saw it and enjoyed it too. The guy doing Blackstar was pretty good I thought... a quirky and interesting vocal style. The young woman rapping, singing and playing the guitar looked very good too. I hope they feature her in another episode.
    Yeah - I thought she was interesting. Although it wasn't clear to me how many people they're going to feature were among those that sent in auditions via the net.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    I just watched the first half-hour, waiting for something to happen. I was disappointed. Nitin Sawney - he may be musically adept but he has the on-screen persona of a plank of wood.
    Episode 2 last night. I'm going to stick with it but considering the wealth of musical talent in the UK I don't know why they're choosing the people are. Loved the violinist, but the girl at the end trying to do Children Of The Revolution... wtf! Guitar out tune, couldn't play, couldn't sing. And she's going to be performing at a concert with talented professional musicians. Beggars belief.
    Aslo, being a Bowie fan I'm not crazy about other people doing Bowie stuff. I get the whole 'putting a twist on it' thing but he was primarily a singer and you take his vocals away and what are you left with? SFA usually.
  • watched episode from Dublin. At last someone that can really sing. Sam Wickens from Bangor. what a voice. even imelda May was swooning over him
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1795
    I love the idea that you can now buy the vocal sound he got with gated mikes in Hansa as a plugin. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Despite my desire to watch Imelda I couldn't get far into the first episode. Contrast with the BBC's Best Part Time Band which was irreverent and entertaining and still managed to take making music fairly seriously. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    It all seems to be a set-up anyway. The superb violinist - Anna Phoebe - is a top session player who's been on tour with Jethro Tull and various others. Technically 'unsigned' maybe, but even so...
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3913
    I'm enjoying it. Tony Visconti is currently producing The Damned's new album too so I had to watch this.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    I've been watching it, but it is a little bit formulaic for me.
    (And a lot of the songs they are featuring are ones I wasn't so struck on first time 'round.)
  • AlexC said:
    Episode 2 last night. I'm going to stick with it but considering the wealth of musical talent in the UK I don't know why they're choosing the people are. Loved the violinist, but the girl at the end trying to do Children Of The Revolution... wtf! Guitar out tune, couldn't play, couldn't sing. And she's going to be performing at a concert with talented professional musicians. Beggars belief.
    Aslo, being a Bowie fan I'm not crazy about other people doing Bowie stuff. I get the whole 'putting a twist on it' thing but he was primarily a singer and you take his vocals away and what are you left with? SFA usually.
    I agree. She stuck out like a sore thumb. She's not a musician and couldn't even tune her guitar. Surprised the likes of Visconti and Sawnhey didntd see through it. And as for her rap over Children of the Revolution, no! Also it stop!
  • Make it stop! That should have said.